01. shirley temples

(ONE. SIPPING SHIRLEY TEMPLES)

˖

"WIPE THAT FROWN off your face, Josette, you'll get wrinkles." Her mother said as the pair walked into King's Cross Station.

Josie couldn't believe how composed her mother was, her father had died less than three months ago for Merlin's sake. After almost five years of battling Cancer, Joseph Vaughn took his last breath in the Wizarding World. Although he was born a muggle, his money helped his wife climb towards the top of the ministry, as well as her older sister Juliet.

Neither of them seemed to mourn her father's death which made her furious. This would be her first time getting on the Hogwarts Express without her father bidding her goodbye, how would she not wear a frown at the thought?

"You do realize this is my first time here without Dad, right? Do you expect me to have the brightest smile, mother?" Josette said trying to calm herself down. Ever since her father died and was left with her mother, she had been a raging ball of emotions. She no longer had her rock to steady her.

Reyna Gage-Vaughn took ahold of her daughter's wrist tightly, stopping her from continuing her path towards the train. "You listen here, Josette, you will not disgrace my or your father's name by lashing out every chance you get. I did not name you after one of my ancestors for you to turn out like this! Your father died, but it was expected considering how long he fought against the wicked disease. Learn from your sister and me and move on."

Tears threatened to pour out of Josie's eyes, not because of sadness but rather anger. She might have hated Hogwarts and school in general, but she rather stays in the castle than with her mother year-round. "It's hard not to grieve the only person who ever truly loved me for who I am, so no, mother - I will not be moving on anytime soon."

     "Oh, Josette, I can't wait to see you fail miserably in the real world. Everything I've done has been for your benefit, yet you always pin the blame on me, you make it seem like I'm the monster." Reyna exclaimed softly trying not to draw attention to the pair. After all, her reputation is what mattered most in this world.

     Josette had had enough of her mother, it took everything in her not to storm away without saying goodbye, but she would never have heard the end of it if she were to. "I have to board the train mother, see you next summer, unfortunately," Josie said collecting the belongings she had dropped.

     "Next summer? Your sister is coming home with her fiancé for Christmas and I expect you to be there. You've come home every holiday since your first year, so I expect you to board that train when the time comes." Her mother said strictly.

     The last thing Josie would be doing was dressing up to meet her sister's fiancé, she didn't need another constant reminder of how great her sister was. "I had someone to go home to during the past holidays, but now that he's gone I don't see the point."

     Before Reyna could reply a woman, who Josette presumed was an acquaintance of her mother's, came strutting towards the pair. "Reyna how lovely it is to see you! It's been ages."

      Her mother quickly put on a fake smile to greet the woman. "Why yes, almost a year. Let us catch up with a drink of tea or some sort, let me just bid my daughter goodbye." She finished motioning towards Josette.

     It was obvious the woman was high up in the ministry considering her mother would want to talk to her, her mother didn't have friends only business partners.

     "Now, Josette, don't make a fool of your family name. I expect to see you during the holidays, or shall I repeat myself?" She finished giving her a stern look.