think of what we've done in the time that the earth has traveled around the sun

ricky bowen hadn't slept one decent night since discovering his girlfriend was carrying his baby. nini had successfully recovered from her iud removal and was nearing her second trimester. although her pregnancy made her ill every morning, nini was happier than ever. yet, ricky was still worrying and doting over her constantly.

no one in their friend group knew of their pregnancy news, preferring to wait until it was safe to share. ricky and nini told his dad mike immediately, along with nini's moms dana and carol. the grandparents to be were shocked at the unexpected news but thrilled nonetheless. mike was smiling from ear to ear as he told stories about baby ricky. dana and carol were discussing baby names and nursery ideas.

it felt odd telling their immediate family in person, but his mother didn't get that luxury. she was unaware that her son was going to become a parent himself, the thought saddened ricky. he imagined his mom as the best grandmother a child could have until he met dana and carol. sure their baby would have two lovely lolas, but ricky wanted his mom included. the relationship between mother and son was no where near perfect, but lynne had began trying to right her wrongs.

ricky decided it was best to tell lynne over the phone that she was going to have a grandchild soon. it was around 4am in salt lake, 5am chicago time, ricky knew his mother was an early riser every morning.

"hello?"

ricky and his mother exchanged pleasantries while keeping a small conversation, he was trying to find the right words to tell his mother. he was too distracted by the phone call to notice nini woke up. the tired pregnant woman couldn't help but eavesdrop on the call, ricky wasn't the most open about his mother.

he knew his mother was curious as to why he called, it was uncommon for him to make the first move. which lynne was surprisingly understanding of and would reach out to her son. they spoke weekly on the phone and a few text messages here and there.

"i called because i won't be able to visit for awhile... we just found out nini's pregnant, we're having a baby. your first grandchild, we wanted to tell you in person but she hasn't been feeling her bes-"

his voice was cut off by lynne's ecstatic shrieks, causing him to smile wholeheartedly. he wished he could have seen her reaction but he was happy with how supportive she was. lynne was so excited about the baby, she even mentioned visiting more often.

"she's the one right? you always told me that. when are you going to propose? she's giving your life a purpose, she's having your baby."

lynne was the last parent on this earth he thought that would pressure him into marriage. of course ricky wanted to marry nini, that wasn't a question. ricky wanted to get nini the ring she deserves, which wouldn't be cheap. having a child is an expense the young couple has yet to adjust to, adding a wedding to that mix did not seem logical at the moment. nini was not much of a fan of being a pregnant bride, anyways.

he began stuttering off reasons why he hadn't proposed yet, they were twenty-two years old. the couple had been together for seven years, the topic of marriage came up often. but, ricky and nini decided to wait until after establishing careers or starting out. the unexpected baby made their serious relationship have a permanent bond besides their love.

"of course she is––but babies are expensive like engagement rings and weddings. nini deserves the best. i promise i'm saving to get her the best."

nini silently tiptoed back into their bedroom, it was too bittersweet listening to the conversation any longer. nini's heart warmed at the fact that ricky wanted the best for her, he never failed to be an amazing boyfriend to her. ricky truly was nini's soulmate and she felt so lucky to have a great man like him.