Chapter 6: The One He Loves

NEIL'S POV

I parked the car in front of their gate and went off the car. Maine is already standing by the gate. She seems to be waiting for Troy. Napakuyom na lamang ako ng kamao ko at kinalma ang sarili bago lumapit sa kanya. Agad na binuksan niya ang maliit na gate.

"Good evening, Neil, wala pa si Troy e" agad na bungad niya sa akin.

I smiled at her. Seeing his angelic face makes me calm. "Good evening, Maine." ang sarap banggitin ng pangalan niya. "I know Troy isn't around. I just came here kasi galing ako d'yan sa malapit . E nagugutom na ako, baka may dinner kayo d'yan?" I smiled at her. It's a good thing that I can still smile at her kahit na nagsisinungaling ako. 

She chuckled. And that was the best music in my ears. "Sa tingin mo gagabihin pa si Troy?" 

She tried to sound casual but I can sense bitterness in her voice. And I know she's sad. I wanna punch Troy in the face for making her sad. Ang g*go g*go niya! 

Kung sa akin lamang si Maine, hinding-hindi ko siya sasaktan. Hindi ako uuwi ng late para makasama siya agad. Hindi ko na kakailanganing makipag-inuman pa sa labas, dahil mas gugustuhin ko na manatili na lamang sa tabi niya sa lahat ng oras. Hindi ko na titignan ang ibang babae... siya na lamang. Ngayon ngang hindi naman siya sa akin, siya ang palagi kong iniisip. Ang g*go lang talaga ni Troy. Binabasura niya ang babaeng pinapangarap ko.

Napakamot na lamang ako ng ulo. Ayokong masaktan si Maine. "Malamang" alanganing ngumiti pa ako. 

Ngumiti siya sa akin pero halata naman na pilit lamang. "Tuloy ka. Sabayan mo na akong kumain" anyaya niya sa akin.

When I walk pass her, and smelled her intoxicating scent, I want to pull her into a hug. I want to comfort her that I'm here and I'll never let her alone. I want to take all her sadness away. I want to make her happy. But no matter how hard, and how much I wanted to do those things, I can't. Because she's not mine, and her husband is my best friend, who's almost a brother.

She prepared the table for us. I just watch her as she moves around. Ang sarap isipin na ako ang asawa niya at ako ang pinaghahanda niya ng hapunan. Ang sarap isipin na ganito ang uuwian mo gabi-gabi pagkagaling sa trabaho. If I was her husband, I'll never take her for granted. Kaya lang hindi naman ako ang asawa niya, kung hindi ang g*gong si Troy.

"Let's pray" I smiled at her. She smiled back. 

I lead the prayer and thank God for the blessings. I thanked Him for letting me have a wonderful meal with the one I love. 

Yes. I love her. I love her since I laid my eyes on her. But I failed to realized it was love. And it was too late when I realized that I love her. She already love Troy and they're getting married. I want to do everything to stop that fcking wedding! But I can't risk it. And I know deep within Maine, she really wants to marry the b*stard, I can see it in her eyes. I am a coward to gamble my friendship for love. But part of me told me that it was the wise decision. Because Maine doesn't love me as a man. And I want to keep the friendship.