Chapter 8: Machiavellian Vindaloo

When Neal and Peter arrived at Henry's loft in NoHo, east of the Village, Sara wasn't there yet—a point Neal didn't fail to highlight to Henry.

"When you gave the time, did you factor in the Sara allowance?" Neal asked as he stepped inside.

Henry frowned. "What are you talking about?"

"She's always at least thirty minutes late," Neal explained patiently. "Generally, that doesn't extend to an hour, but it's been known to occur." A slight exaggeration, but it was good to remind Henry that Sara was just a pal and nothing more.

"Good, that gives me time for the tour," Peter said. "I haven't seen the loft since the remodeling work was finished." He glanced around the vast central living area. "Very impressive."

Neal agreed. Contemporary furniture, exposed beams, hardwood floors, with floor-to-ceiling windows on the wall overlooking the terrace. Hanging prominently on one wall was the painting Henry had purchased at Neal's first-year exhibition—an abstract of clouds.

Neal was most envious of Henry's spacious kitchen. It was an ironic touch since Henry didn't cook. Eric did, though. Was the inclusion a promising sign? Neal sniffed the aroma of curry. Henry had promised a feast fit for a maharaja courtesy of the Indian restaurant on the corner, and the containers were staying hot on warming trays. Henry might not be able to fry an egg, but like Sara he was a master of takeout.

Henry opened a beer for Peter. In a nod to Neal, he'd bought a German Riesling while grumbling that anyone who drank wine with Indian food was asking for bad karma.

After the tour, they went outside on the terrace. The view couldn't compare with Neal's but the lounges were more comfortable. Henry was on the top floor of the building and looked south toward the Brooklyn Bridge.

While they waited for Sara, he and Peter filled Henry in on their trip to Paris. Neal was able to slip in a reference to the breakup with Fiona. "This con proves that there's a silver lining to every disaster. A girlfriend would have caused issues."

Henry smiled. "I see your point. You're supposed to be hot and heavy first with Sara and then with Kate. You don't think it will be awkward?"

Neal hesitated. Two seconds were enough to indicate his earnest contemplation. "A little. It's like kissing a sister, but we've done it before."

"I'd forgotten that you two went on a fake date. When was that?"

"Around the first of March, I believe," Peter said. "That was when Neal was worried Keller would make a move on Fiona."

"No such concerns, now," Neal said cheerfully. "As Sara reminds me far more often than necessary, she can kick butt far better than me."

Peter laughed. "She's not your type."

"Maybe more Diana's," Neal agreed with a grin. He was prevented from casting further aspersions when the woman of the hour arrived—only twenty minutes late. She was wearing a plum-colored sheath dress. He hoped she noticed the scarlet flecks in his tie.

Sara played her part to perfection. They sat at Henry's dining table and binged on chicken tandoori, beef vindaloo, samosas, and all the sides. While they ate they discussed Sara's role. It was her first opportunity to discuss it with the group.

"I've considered options on how to play it," she said. "I'd prefer not to portray yet one more woman smitten by Neal's charms. I have something much more devious in mind. We know that Kramer had Neal listed as a Person of Interest with Sterling-Bosch. Peter, I realize you talked with Mr. Bosch to remove Neal's name from the file, but suppose you didn't."