Chapter 4: Auvers-sur-Oise

The sun had barely risen when Mozzie arrived at the hotel in an ancient Citroen Dyane. A loaner from some shady associate, no doubt. Did he ever drive anything that didn't appear to be on the verge of collapse? From Peter's admittedly limited experience, the answer was a decisive no.

There was barely enough space for the three of them. Peter's knees were next to his chin. Neal's reassurance that it was only a 45-minute drive, and that by leaving so early they were beating the traffic were the only things that kept this grizzly bear from grumbling all the way to the village. The truly extraordinary breakfast Neal promised he'd procure for them once they arrived was also a help.

They made only one stop—a flower market—where Neal picked up a bouquet of roses and dahlias to present to Isabelle.

Peter's mood improved when they arrived in the picturesque village. The old stone houses, framed with colorful painted shutters and flower beds, harked back to an earlier, more serene era. Neal directed Mozzie to park in front of a café that doubled as a bakery. By the time Peter sat down at an outside table with a freshly baked roll, cheese, and chocolate croissant in front of him and an omelet on the way, he had to admit the location was worth the trip.

This was his first time to sample the pleasures of the French countryside, and it made him wish more than ever that El could be there too. When he and Neal joined the Interpol art crimes task force, he'd dreaded the overseas travel that would be required. Now he was excited about future opportunities. Leading a crew of con artists, working abroad—would the Peter of a couple of years ago even recognize him?

After breakfast, the three of them strolled through the village as Neal pointed out various landmarks. The church was particularly noteworthy.

"Does anyone else think the church is a little spooky?" Peter asked. "When Neal showed me Van Gogh's painting of it last night, I thought there was something sinister about it."

Mozzie paused and backed up a few steps, framing the church with his hands. "An astute observation. It could serve as an illustration for the church Diana wrote about in her first Arkham Files story. All it needs are a few demons peeping through the stained glass."

Until recently, he would have laughed at Mozzie's remark. Instead, he stole a glance at Neal to assess his reaction. He was smiling as if he didn't have a care—or curse—in the world. In a peaceful village with a bright morning sun overhead, it seemed unbelievable that there could actually be demonic forces at work.

Yet Peter had been forced to accept it.

A week ago, Neal was diagnosed as having been ensnared by an ancient Greek goddess. El called her a vampire of souls. According to ancient legends, she acted as a muse to artists and other creative types while draining away their life force. If there hadn't already been one documented case of an artist dying from the curse last spring, Peter wouldn't have accepted it as possible.

The artist in Connecticut had wasted away from an unknown disease. His art had been affected, turning dark and moody while the quality skyrocketed. That case led to the discovery of the goddess.

Neal and Mozzie had researched cases of artists who appeared to have also been Astrena's victims. They'd identified Goya, Shelley, Constable, and Titian. Van Gogh and Mozart were also tagged. Mozart's life was snuffed out far too soon, and Van Gogh suffered from bouts of depression and other emotional issues.

So far Neal had experienced no physical deterioration. His doctor was Diana's partner Christie. She'd helped Neal with some unusual injuries over the past year, but this situation was unprecedented. Neal had promised to alert him if the situation changed and in return, Peter agreed to restrain his hovering. Mozzie could help by not bringing up demons.