Chapter 3: Prelude to a Party

Monday, Saul ate a piece of chocolate while walking the grounds to the College, thinking again if maybe he could work it out with Becca. That weekend, they had one of their biggest fights and, also, the strangest he's ever had mainly because he didn't even engage. But instead of losing steam, Becca got more infuriated. She listed down all the things he had done wrong from being an inconsiderate bastard down to forgetting to take out the trash. And, of course, there was Friday night, a prime example of his insensitivity and childishness which she didn't have the patience to deal with anymore. Dawn! He went out drinking with that woman and then came home drunk in her car. Why did he bother coming home at all? Why didn't he just sleep in her bed since he so obviously liked her?

Maybe he shouldn't have laughed at that point, but he couldn't help it. Of all people, Becca decided to be jealous of Dawn. In any case, he didn't have the energy to correct her or argue anything on his side. The few times that he chose to point out something, and very calmly at that, she only blew up even more, the pitch of her voice vibrating his skull as he continued to nurse a hangover. So, he just let her place the blame all on him, insinuate all her unfounded theories, if that would shut her up.

When she stomped out of the house, he was sure that they've broken up even though she didn't say it explicitly. And all he felt was relief that there wouldn't be any more yelling. He was sure that, when his hangover was gone, he'd feel some sadness or maybe resentment, but at the time, all he was concerned about was the combination of dizziness and pounding headache, that he just fell back to sleep.

But it turned out they weren't broken up. A few hours later when he was already relishing the quiet and just looking for something to eat, she came back. She was calm and a little less defiant. Her first words were, "I had a long time to myself, just thinking. And I think you're right."

Instead of being ecstatic, he only felt disappointed, which he recognized was an abnormal reaction after being told by his girlfriend that he was right. Then she just burst into tears. She apparently could see now that she had been such a nightmare and that he became the person she poured all her frustrations on, but it was the work, the pressure. She had wanted this promotion so much and became overexcited but also overwhelmed. She admitted to letting it take over her life. When she told him how sorry she was, he sighed. He knew that this was his cue to thaw down and go to her, console her, which he did knowing that he was about to say things he didn't mean.

But when he started doing so, part of him wanted it to be true, perhaps a need to be honest. He had to admit to faults on his side, that he was maybe too short with her as well, and that he didn't try harder. He should, though.

Shouldn't he?

Still, as he made his way to the College, he wondered what was the point in trying. Would they still work out? When he thought they broke up, he found her being gone a better state than where they were now.

When he finally reached the main building, he didn't go in but instead leaned on the wall by the entrance, drumming his fingers against the box he was holding. He felt slightly guilty at buying this and not telling Becca, but she just wouldn't understand. More than likely, she would misinterpret it.

Then, he saw movement in his periphery, breaking him out of his musings. Dawn was coming down the driveway, pedaling her trusty bike, her brow already drawn. She swerved toward the bike rack and, probably to get it over with, didn't delay as she did before. It was obvious, after all, that he had been waiting for her.

She gave him a tired look and walked lazily to him, dragging her feet. He withheld laughing only because he wanted to appear sincere.

"Mr. Silva," she said. "Were you waiting for me?"