13. All The Answers

The warm scent of coffee and cake filled the house in the early hours of the morning. To someone walking by, the house may have seemed quiet, maybe even peaceful.

This was not the case.

"Dallas, I swear to God, leave my foot alone!"

Dallas stood from the couch, staring down at his sister's leg as her foot rested on the corner of the coffee table. "I'm tryna leave! Move your fucking foot!"

Soda took a long sip of his chocolate milk while Johnny stared up at the ceiling from his seat on the couch. Darry bit back a laugh while he finished tying his boots, and vanished out the door.

"My 'fucking foot' is damn-near broken you dumbass! Just go around!"

"I can't go around when Pony's having a fuckin' breakdown an' crying into the carpet!" Dallas reached beside Johnny and pulled a pillow from beside him. Raising it like a bat, he swung the pillow at Hannah. "And don't say fuck!"

Dallas managed to step over Hannah's injured leg while she furiously combed down her hair, trying to tame the bits that stuck straight up. Dallas strolled into the kitchen and was about to leave when he re-entered the living room. "Gimme my jacket," he said through a mouth of chocolate cake.

"You can have your jacket back when I have my clothes back," she said bitterly. Dallas groaned before leaving the house. Sodapop followed behind him, but not before reminding Ponyboy to finish his homework. Ponyboy rolled over onto his back from his spot on the floor. Johnny's dark eyes locked with Pony's before both boys broke out in laughter. 

"Where'd Dally go?"

"To get my clothes from the laundromat," Hannah said nonchalantly. "Told him it's the only way he'll get his jacket back."

"Ransom, eh? I like it."

The three teenagers had the house to themselves for the time being. Steve, Soda and Darry were all at work, Dallas was walking downtown, and Two-Bit was currently playing dress-up with his little sister while their mother worked a double shift at Jay's diner.

Ponyboy sat in between Hannah and Johnny on the couch, a notebook and pencil in his lap.

"What kinda homework do you got," Hannah asked. Ponyboy groaned and passed her the notebook. "I have to write a biography. I would do one of the gang, but then I'd have to edit it a bunch and get rid of all the illegal stuff. Or I could do an author I like or something, but that's what I did last time."

Hannah nodded once before turning her head to the opening door. Dallas stepped in and tossed the black garbage bag clear over her head. "There's your clothes. Now pay up."

"Bring me my jacket first."

Dallas rolled his eyes before moving to the living room and fishing the jacket out of the bag. Hannah smiled and pulled her arms out of her brother's jacket, and slipped into her own. Looking satisfied, Dallas adorned his jacket before sinking into Darry's abandoned chair and training his eyes on the television.

Ponyboy cleared his throat awkwardly. "So, uh...Hannah?"

"Huh?"

"Would you maybe, wanna help me with my project? You just gotta answer some questions."

Hannah chewed on her lip thoughtfully before Dallas spoke up. "Remember, you're grounded. You're not goin' anywhere."

Hannah dropped her eyes to her foot. Her boot and sock laid beneath the table, and an ice pack was tied to her ankle using bandages, tape, and a shoelace. "Oh no, there go my plans on running a marathon," she moped sarcastically. Dallas stared directly at Johnny before pointing at his sister. "I'm gonna kill her, I swear to God."