*****

"But it's also a whip!" Thor butted in from his place beside the king.

"But it's a sword." Volstagg's eyebrows were furrowed deeply as we discussed wether my sword was a whip or not.

"It's a sword, but it can turn into a whip, right, (Y/n)?" Sif questioned me from my right, and I swallowed my food.

"I think I rather enjoy your debate, please, don't stop now." I smirked, and the table erupted in light laughter, the king even emitted a small chuckle.

Lunch seemed to last only a few minutes, and then we were all making our way to where our horses were waiting for us. Faline had Hilda's reigns in her hand, waiting. I approached her and before I even mounted the tall horse, she was speaking to me.

"(Y/n), please be careful and don't do anything stupid." She pleaded and I climbed onto the horse, taking the reigns from me.

"How could I? I'm leaving all of the stupid here with you." I joked with her, and she smiled a little.

"I'm serious. Don't run head first into danger like you always do" She groped around until her hand landed on my armored shin.

"I'll try not to!" I shouted at her as I loped to catch up with the rest of the group that had already started their scouting.

*****

We decided that sticking together would be the best option, just in case the dragon did show up. We had been riding for a couple of hours, and it was late in the afternoon before we stopped at a small stream for the horses to drink.

I was in the process of filling up my canteen when I heard the snap of a branch behind me. I brought my sword from my back and jumped around quickly, only to be met with the trickster god, leaning against the bark of a tree.

"A little on edge today, aren't we?" He asked as he pushed off of the tree, and I sheathed my sword.

"You can never be too careful." My voice was cold as I spoke, not having time to play his games.

I had to remain alert, for the dragon could be anywhere, and pop up at anytime. I learned that the hard way. The time I let my guard down once before, I encountered a hellhound.

"That is correct...." He trailed off as he approached me, his stature seeming taller than usual, making me want to cower down.

"If we happen to see this dragon, I want you to have no part of the battle. You will run as fast as that horse can carry you back to the safety of the palace. Is that understood?" His voice was stern.

"Battle! The king told us not to engage! You're crazy, you all can't take down a fire dragon!!" I yelled as I started to pace, but Loki grabbed my wrists harshly.

"You have to promise me, (Y/n)." His nostrils flared.

"I can't do that." I jerked myself out of his grasp and flung myself onto Hilda, galloping off to where I heard the others.

*****

Loki hasn't spoke a word to me since our conversation at the stream, but he kept a further distance from me. The group was traveling in a single file line on a small forest trail, hoping to find open ground soon.

I heard a quiet, almost imperceptible thump of heavy footfalls, and halted my horse so that I could listen more carefully. The thumps were soon followed by the sound of labored breathing, and the sound that resembled a large intake of air.

"GET DOWN!" I yelled to the group that was far ahead of me.

FOOTNOTES:

(1) Your armor, minus the cape, and your sword on your back.

(2) Hilda is a female norse Viking name that means "the fighter"