Chapter 2: Itsumi

Fort Tryon Park. Sunday, September 24, 2006

El stood up along with practically everyone else in the stands. "Did we win?"

"Of course, we did!" Sara shouted her reply but it was hard to hear her voice over the cheers of the crowd. "Let history record that under sunlit skies on the morning of September 24, 2006, the French finally exacted revenge for the Battle of the Spurs. I'm glad no one demanded historical accuracy. It's much more fun this way."

The battle heralded the start of the Renaissance Festival in Fort Tryon Park. This was the second year for Columbia University to co-sponsor the event. The reenactment was loosely based on the Battle of the Spurs which took place in the sixteenth century in northwestern France. In the original version, the French were overwhelmed by English and Habsburg forces. Many members of the French nobility were carried off as prisoners of war.

In the present reenactment, the English didn't stand a chance—not with the White Collar team, friends, and family members all on the French side. Henry and Eric fought alongside them. Even Mozzie had taken part, claiming the role of the king's royal counselor.

In a very real sense, the festival had assumed the characteristics of a reunion. Travis no longer worked at White Collar and his partner Richard didn't occupy the studio next to Neal's at Columbia, but they continued to maintain close ties to the university—Travis through SETI and Richard through a class on special effects makeup he taught to visual arts students. Both men participated in the reenactment as well as Jones and Diana from White Collar.

In the stands with El and Sara were Mozzie's girlfriend Janet and Diana's partner Christie. This was the first year for Angela's husband Michael to take part in the battle, and Angela was fighting alongside him.

That the French were victorious was appropriate. Their revenge mirrored Neal's personal triumph over Astrena. Last year he was declining rapidly because of her curse. He was too weak to participate in the LARP. Peter had promised him that next year they'd fight together on the battlefield. Today was the fulfillment of that promise.

"You're thinking about last year, aren't you?" Sara murmured as she continued to scan the crowded battlefield.

El nodded. "We were all concerned about Neal. When I saw how worried you were, I realized you cared much more for him than you'd admitted."

"If we weren't keeping our relationship secret, I would have loved to tell you."

El smiled at her. "I know. Hiding how you felt when Neal was so ill must have been very painful."

Sara shrugged in acknowledgment. "I like to think there are unexpected blessings in every misfortune. That period in our lives strengthened our commitment to each other. Last year Neal couldn't participate in the Renaissance dance demonstration with me. This year he'll be there, tights and all!"

"And Peter and I will be there to watch. Maybe next year I can coax my tights-challenged husband into dancing too."

"That reminds me of the scene in Diana's story where Peter dances at the court of Elizabeth I. Were you the one who injected it?"

"Guilty as charged. Peter figured it out right away. I didn't give him any pressure for this year's event, but I have high hopes for 2007."

"I'd like to make this an annual event too," Sara said. "Where else do we have a chance to wear our Renaissance gowns? Next year, the folks from the Mystery Mansion may join us. Maia told me Dean and Sam were disappointed at the lack of battle reenactments in the New Haven Mabon Festival."

"Mystery Mansion? That's what you're calling Maia's house?"

Sara nodded. "That's Dean's term for it and now we've all adopted the expression. The mansion has a fortune in art and antiques but no one knows how many are enchanted. What dark secrets lie inside?" she added in a theatrical whisper.