Part 2 - Chapter Twenty Three

Start from the beginning

We both slowed down, this time being more careful as we neared the noise, treading quietly trying not to alert the other wolf we were nearby. If we could smell them, they could smell us, but, hopefully, they were distracted by whatever was making them bleed.

"Stupid!"

We both paused and hid behind a tree trunk , and we were confused, was that a female's voice?

I peeked from behind the trunk and I could see very distant figures, I let my wolf sense take over so the image cleared and I could see them. One female standing while a male was on the ground, bleeding. That was the smell of metallic I recognised.

"Now?"

I shook my head holding up a hand for Cameron to wait, I wanted to know what was going on. The more I watched the pair interact, the more I realised that something was off. What was it? Why are they arguing? I could tell Lionel was the man on the ground ubt who was she?

She kneeled down, wrapped her fingers around Lionel's neck, and I could see the colour fading from his face. I held my hand down, signaling for Cameron to go, we needed them both alive; we needed them for questioning.

Whilst Cameron took the straight-ahead approach, I ran around the trees to another closer spot. She was distracted by both of us, her head going around, which allowed Lionel to escape from her hold by kicking her feet and making her fall over.

"Both of you freeze."

I stepped out hearing Cameron's voice, he had a gun in his hand and I took out mine as they both watched us approach them.

"Who the hell are you?" Her voice was strong and there wasn't even a hint of fear – unlike the other man who recognised us almost immediately.

That's when I noticed the difference, he was a rogue, but she wasn't. My eyebrows furrowed, it can't be.

I saw the faintest marks at the base of her neck, invisible to the human eye, she was mated. Which confirmed my thought about who she was.

"Hill, handcuff him."

I nodded, took out my handcuffs as Cameron kept an eye on her.

"Hey, get up." I kicked Lionel who was on the ground making him groan as he shifted over, bending down I quickly did his handcuffs and he hissed at the silver doubling over.

I looked back up at the lady as she watched me with narrowed eyes, eyes that hid something.

"Cameron, handcuff her." I said, why wasn't he handcuffing her yet?

I grabbed Lionel by his shirt and pulled him up getting a closer look at him to know it was him. I could tell that the committee was going to be so pleased that we finally found him He had some valuable information that only he knew.

I looked up when I heard Cameron groan, his body dropping to the ground as she tried to escape.

I pushed Lionel towards Cameron, "Stay here." I ordered as I broke into a run.

She was fast. She hadn't even shifted but she was twenty meters in front of me.

She looked over her shoulder and saw me, I had to get to her before she shifted – or I shifted. I ducked as she threw something at me, and changed. Rather than running behind her, I ran to the side so it was harder for her to throw something.

I was too busy concentrating on her running. I didn't see the wolf cut me off before it was too late, and I just stopped myself from falling over. I recognised the wolf as Marcus, but I didn't let him stop me as I hurried after her. To my surprise she had stopped running, instead she was...wait. I stopped running as I caught my breath as I stared into familiar grey eyes, Hercules.