Part 2 - Chapter Twenty Three

Start from the beginning

Here it took Cameron ten minutes.

"Ready," he said, taking a stick and throwing it at the fence, no reaction. "Go Hill."

Cameron and I took our time climbing the fence, with all the silver weaponry tucked into our clothes there was always a risk that sudden non natural movements could push them out of place and against our own skin.

"Three minutes left." Cameron warned as we reached the top.

"That's ok, go half way and jump." I told him, going down would be easier.

We both made it with a few seconds to spare on the ground and we looked at his portable device.

"Alright, we have a tricky trail to follow." He got out his portable device, it was like a GPS, on the left screen was the location of the house, on the right screen was recognition data, and it recognised where a wolf has been by simply analyzing the heat patterns in the air and on the ground.

Wolves had a warm body, and werewolves had a really warm body when they just shifted.

"Let's go then," I said looking up at the cluster of trees that greeted us: it was wet, cold and smelled. The light in the sky was changing from the rising sun, and we had a good head start.

Cameron nodded walking in front of me, and I followed – it was time to kill this rogue.

"How much further?" According to my calculations we were already meant to be here, surely we weren't going the wrong way, were we?

Cameron stopped looking confused at his device as he turned in a circle. "It should be...right here."

I crossed my arms raising an eyebrow. "Oh really, was this cabin invisible by any chance?" I looked up into the sky and looked at the trees, was this cabin meant to be a cubby house by any chance. There was nothing, just lots and lots of trees.

"Can you smell anything?" he asked. I turned on my wolf senses taking a sniff but all I got was a stench of wet branches, damp ground from the melted snow and leaves: a lot of...nature-y smells. I was debating whether I should shift and let my wolf take over, she would be much better at finding scents if she was allowed to run around, but I didn't want to give her that much control just yet.

I suppressed her urge to run, and walked around looking through the trees in case I found some clues, and checked the time, we were now ten minute behind schedule – this wasn't good.

"Are you sure your stupid GPS is right?" I walked over to him staring at the screen with various colours, dots and lines, I never got his technology.

"It's okay baby, she didn't mean to call you stupid," he said patting his machine and I rolled my eyes and paused. "Did you hear that?"

"Here wha—"

I shushed him. "The birds are cawing."

He shrugged, "so?"

"The birds only caw when people are near it, or animals." I pointed out as I headed in the direction of the noise.

"Birds also caw when they feel like it, or mating, or what they're bird."

"Not like that, those birds caw when they see blood. Crows Cameron, crows." His eyes widened as he realised what I was saying, and we broke into a slight jog dodging trees and various logs as we hurried towards the noises of the birds.

I was always right with my hunches. As we neared closer I could smell the flesh of an animal, no doubt a wolf, injured. This would be perfect, if they were injured, there's no doubt that he would be easier to take down.