I shrugged her hand off my shoulder. "Who the hell are you? What am I doing here?"

"I will answer you." She promised. "But before that, allow me to do my job. I will be quick."

"Not until you answer all of my questions."

The nurse blew out her cheeks. "Quit being adamant. This is for your own good. I need to redress your wound right now."

I wanted to object, but she had already lifted the shirt I had on, exposing my stomach.

For the first time, I got to see how huge the wound was. I hadn't really paid attention to it before, plus, it was the first time she offered to clean up the would after I regained consciousness.

On impulse, I shut my eyes tightly as the bandage was being taken off the wound.

She discarded it in the bin beside her and opened the first aid box.

Wordlessly, I allowed her to do her thing. 

When she was done, she dropped my shirt and stood to leave.

"You haven't told me who you are and how I got here." I reminded, making her halt.

She crouched. "I'm Adeola."

I suppressed the urge to scorn at her. I wasn't a tad interested in knowing what her name was. It was irrelevant information to me.

"I'm the one who has been taking care of you ever since you fell unconscious." She continued. "Penetrating abdominal trauma. Luckily, none of your organs were punctured. But never the less, you did sustain a deep injury. You almost died of a hemorrhage. You were admitted to the hospital for two days. I brought you here immediately after your discharge." She breathed. "Has all of your questions been answered?"

In an aberrant manner, I stared at her. "What is your motive?"

Her lips parted in a small gasp. "Motive? What makes you think I have a motive for deciding to save your life."

"You look tensed. You're hiding something from me."

"I'm not." She denied, a frown plastered on her face. "Why would I lie to you?"

"Have you contacted any of my family members?"

"How would that be possible? I don't even their contacts. When I found you, you had nothing with you. Not even a dime. It's out of the goodness in me that I decided to help you, but if you decided to doubt me, then you're free to. There's nothing I can do about that." With that said, she turned around and ambled out of the room.

It was all shenanigans. I could tell by her body language. There was something off about her—something I couldn't quite pinpoint.

I was still deep in my thoughts, when the door opened and the nurse walked in, with a tray of food.

She placed it on the empty side of the bed and then turned to leave.

"Wait!" I called after her. "Can you lend me your phone? I need to make a quick call."

"I'm sorry, I don't have a phone."

I furrowed my brows in incomprehension. She just confirmed my doubts about her.

Who is this lady? What does she want from me?

"You're working for Imani, aren't you?" I couldn't think of any other reason. Every of her action seemed linked to Imani and her thugs. From how she found me, to how she was trying so hard to protect her identity.

"Wh...what?" She stuttered. "Who's that?"

"I need to leave!" I stated. "Right now!"

"But you can't." She rushed to stop me, as I tried to get up regardless of the pain I was going through. I had to endure. The whole thing looked like she was paid to keep me in the tiny room. Paid by none other but the traitor, Imani.