ch. 13 | sharter

6:00 AM

feeling hot, your eyes fluttered open.

the brightness of the brilliantly red and orange sunset in front you blinded you, causing you to immediately squint your eyes. the rain was gone and the storm was over.

realizing that there was a blanket wrapped around your body, you attempted to push it down, only for it to feel heavier. raising your head, your eyes fell upon messy brown hair settled on your lap.

ushijima was resting his head on your thigh, asleep. your eyes traced down his body, which was sitting on the cold floor. you almost felt bad for him.

okay, you felt bad for him.

you leaned to the side, fishing for your phone and checking the time.

six am?? i need to leave.

pushing your feelings to the side, you sat up, causing his head to fall back and making him immediately wake up. he quickly sat up before rubbing his eyes.

"l/n, you're awake."

obviously.

"yeah. listen ushijima, i really appreciate you taking me in and helping me, but i really have to get going cause my son's gonna wake up soon and i have to pick him up."

pushing the blanket off, you stood up, heading for your shoes near the door, until you felt your hand get tugged back.

you sighed, turning around "i just-"

"i heard what you said, l/n. could i just show you something before you leave?.. please?" he pleaded, locking eyes with you.

its giving submissive. you thought, holding back a laugh to maintain your serious gaze.

"hm?" you asked, sitting back down on the comfy couch that you secretly can't get over.

he cleared his throat as he turned his tv on and sat at the far end of the couch.

"i made this while you were asleep," he looked down, trying to think of the right words to say to you, "watch."

the tv displayed a google slide presentation, with the title, "can i please be wakahiko l/n's father?"

you put your hand over your face, trying to conceal the few laughs escaping your mouth. you knew this conversation would eventually, maybe, come up.. but like this? it would've never crossed your mind.

worried by your reaction, ushijima quickly began going through every slide, each one becoming unnecessarily longer and longer.

once he got to the ninth slide, which was just explaining everything he knows about driving and that he would drive very safe for hiko, you tapped his shoulder.

biting your lip, you tried to think of something to say that you wouldn't regret.

"ushijima, how about you come over tomorrow and have dinner with hiko and i.. and ill think about it," you suggested. it was all you could think of, considering the unexpected presentation.

this was weird. it was unlike you. you're only breaking your own heart, but then again it would be good for hiko. he needs a healthy relationship with his father, and you weren't going to push the opportunity away when it finally came to you.. as much as you hated it.

you noticed a big smile paint his face before he attempted to hide it, going back to his serious state and nodding.

what an idiot.