Chapter 36: Memories

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, but she is not talking." Hawks said disappointedly. "She was shot in the gut but managed to crawl into a bathtub to escape the flames. She is in a coma and has not woken up. If she does wake up she might give us something to work with, but right now she is unresponsive."

His anxiety increasing with every breath, Izuku tried his best to calm his voice. "So why call us? This sounds like something you should bring up with the police."

"Well they say it is always good to hear other perspectives." Hawks replied. "Plus I was going to ask if you guys could keep your ears open for any possible leads. It is a slim chance, but you guys might run across something that could help paint a clearer picture. So Miruko, what do you think of the whole thing?"

Izuku watched apprehensively as Rumi furrowed her brow in thought.

"Now that you have explained the situation it does sound pretty fishy." Rumi finally replied. "My best guess would be some kind of Nomu, but it wouldn't make sense for a Nomu to attack random criminals like that. Sorry Hawks."

Izuku could almost see Hawks waving away Rumi's apology as he spoke. "Don't worry about it Miruko. I am going to try to make use of those government resources we were given access to and see if I make any progress. If I get anything I will let you know."

Izuku struggled to keep his voice calm as he forced a friendly smile. "Good luck Hawks. I promise we will keep our eyes open for anything that might help with your investigation."

Thinking rationally, even if the girl woke up from her coma there would be no way for her to identify Izuku. He had worn a mask the entire time, had worn gloves, and had not spoken a single word.

In a way, Izuku was glad that the girl had not died. She had simply been an innocent bystander that had gotten in the way.

Ending the call, Izuku forced himself to relax before turning to look at his girlfriend. "Hey Rumi, I actually wanted to talk to you about something."

Nodding eagerly, Rumi immediately perked up. "Whatcha wanna talk about Izuku?" She said with a sultry grin. "If you wanted to try something new in the bedroom I already have several ideas."

Blushing bright red, Izuku coughed awkwardly before replying. "Umm...t-that is good to know, but not what I meant. I thought that tomorrow we could go see my mom."

The look of panic on his girlfriend's face nearly made Izuku burst into laughter.

"W-w-what?!" Rumi stuttered adorably. "I don't know Izuku. I mean I thought we were gonna keep our relationship secret. Plus your mom might not like me and I would die on the spot if she did not approve of me."

It finally clicked in Izuku's head that Rumi did not know his mom had been dead for a long time. At first, he thought about informing his girlfriend right then and there to clarify the situation, but something stopped him.

With a warm smile on his face, Izuku reached out and gently held Rumi's metallic hand. "Trust me, nothing like that will happen. Just be yourself and leave all the talking to me."

"Well...alright." Rumi said after a short pause, clearly still a little apprehensive. "But what should I wear? I mean I don't have any real fancy clothes and I want to make a good impression and-"

Izuku cut Rumi off with a soft kiss.

"Just wear your hero outfit." He whispered against her lips. "I want my mom to see you as what you truly are. A hero who saves people. Who saved me."

Pulling back, Izuku was surprised to see Rumi staring at him in shock. As tears formed in the corners of her eyes, her rabbit ears hung limply against her head.