Fifteen

The horrendous chime of Weston's phone sends his sleep-crusted eyes to fly wide open. 

"Ow, fuck." Weston groans, pinching his eyes shut from the blinding light emanating through the partially opened curtains as he fumbles his hand next to him, flipping through the sheets as he retrieves his phone. 

He turns on his stomach, facing away from the light as he peers his eyes open, looking at who's calling-- it's Hannah. 

Weston dismisses the call, groaning before turning back over. 

Suddenly, there is a forceful knock at his door. He gets up out of bed, but before he could leave his bedroom, he hears the door swing open. Then, before he could react, he sees Hannah appear,  making her way down the hallway towards him.

"Oh, so you're alive?" She asks, storming into his bedroom.

"Good morning to you too," Weston groans, his hand finding his pounding head as he sits back down on his bed. 

"It's been the afternoon for like five hours, Wes," Hannah says, walking over to Weston's curtains and sliding them open.

Weston winces at the sudden burst of light.

"What?' His heavy eyes shift over to his bedside clock. It reads 4:45 PM. 

"Oh," he mutters.

"Yeah, and you don't want to be late for your date tonight," Hannah says, walking over to his closet and rifling through his shirts.

"Date?" Weston asks, looking her way.

Hannah's head snaps back at him, and she rolls her eyes, "With Kai? She called me all excited this morning, telling me you asked her out last night."

"What? No, I didn't..." Weston grabs his phone and looks at the messages. Sure enough, he texted Kai late last night when he got home from the party, asking her out to dinner tonight.

"Shit," He groans, laying back on the bed. 

"Real nice," Hannah playfully shakes her head as she grabs a black polo and throws it next to him on the bed with heather grey slacks.

"Don't, Hannah. I think I'm going to cancel-"

"You can't cancel. She was so excited."  Hannah cuts him off, "Come on, Wes. You haven't been on a date in months.  You need to get back out there."

Hannah shoots Weston a sympathetic glance, walking over and taking his hand in hers, as she continues, "Wes, I'm worried about you."

Weston's brow furrows, "Worried about me? I'm fine, Hannah..."

"You've kinda been a mess lately. Take today, for example-"

"This was a one-off..."

"Wes."

Weston and Hannah glance at each other and pause in a moment of silence.

"Alright...maybe you're a little right." 

Hannah lightly smiles at Wes, rubbing his shoulder, "I just think if you meet someone you like, then you can get out of this rut."

If you only knew... 

Weston shakes his intrusive thoughts from his mind.

Hannah reaches next to him and grabs the outfit she picked out, "Here, you should wear this. I'll make your reservations at Chester's for six since clearly, you haven't done anything to prepare." 

They both chuckle at one another.

"Thank you," Weston says as he sits back up and heads for the bathroom.