Chapter 2: Assessment: Begin

July, 2008

Japan, Tokyo

When Denki turned six years old, Shota decided that it was time to teach him how to use cursed energy. Shota was reluctant at first, but the more he thought about it, the more logical it seemed to train him. Shota couldn't always be there to take care of Denki due to him having to work as a Jujutsu Sorcerer, so it made sense to train Denki in order to defend himself with cursed energy. However, once he finished training Denki to use cursed energy, Shota wasn't going to force him to become a Jujutsu sorcerer; if Denki wanted to become a Jujutsu sorcerer, he would train him more and support, but if Denki wanted to live a normal life then he would still support him.

Once Shota revealed to Denki that they were going to train, Denki was more than eager to learn how to use cursed energy; Denki has seen Shota train before and he thought Shota looked cool, so if he could become as cool as Shota, then he would do whatever Shota told him to do. However, when Shota brought Denki to a park with a baseball in one hand and a bat in the other and revealed to Denki what his first stage of training consisted of, it left Denki confused.

"Huh?," Denki uttered.

"I said that for the first stage of your training, you're going to try and hit five baseballs in a row, with no misses," Shota explained.

"Why?," Denki questioned.

"You said that you wanted to use a sword, right?" Shota asked.

Denki nodded his head in response to Shota's question.

"One of the first things I learned as a swordsman was how to read a person's attacks. Specifically, I learned how to read a person's attacks before they could finish executing them and block it as soon as their attacks were about to reach me. Do you want to know how I did that?"

Denki once again nodded his head in response to Shota's question; he may not have understood what Shota was telling him, but it sounded important.

"I was able to block their attacks by reading their Ki (1)," Shota explained.

Denki tilted his head in confusion, "Ki? What's that?"

"Ki is a kind of energy that everyone and everything gives off," Shota elaborated. "It's different from cursed energy, no one can manipulate Ki, but everyone can learn how to detect Ki. However, although everyone can learn how to detect Ki, how fast a person can learn Ki may vary. Some people can learn how to detect Ki instantly while other people can take years and years of training to detect Ki."

As Shota explained more and more about Ki detection, Denki just nodded his head as his guardian continued talking. Denki didn't completely understand what Shota was saying but he got the gist of it: Ki detection was used to know when a person was going to attack and learning it could be easy or hard.

"The way I'll be teaching you to learn to detect Ki is pretty simple: I'll pitch to you and you have to detect the ball's trajectory before it reaches you and then hit it. Do that five times and the first part of your training will be complete."

Shota held out the bat in order for Denki to grab it, "Are you ready to begin your training?"

Denki immediately grabbed the bat out of Shota's hand and smiled brightly, "Let's do this, Sho."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April, 2018

Japan, Kyoto Jujutsu High School (Principal's Office)

Waiting in the office of the principal of Kyoto Jujutsu High were second year students Kasumi Miwa and Mechamaru and third year student Aoi Todo. Sitting on one of the couches in the office was the principal, Yoshinobu Gakuganji, a very old man who oddly likes rock-and-roll.