「 Chapter 39 」

Ilèyn took a sigh of relief and ran towards Tauriel.
"Tauriel..." she huffed as she reached the Elf, who turned around in astonishment.
"Ilèyn! Thank Eru, you are alive!" she said happily.
"Ilèyn!" called Tilda, walking quickly towards her. Despite her smile, Ilèyn saw great concern on the face of the girl and that of her older sister.
"We can't find father." said the younger one.
"Our brother" the older one came up next to her sister. "Where is he?"
Ilèyn looked uncertainly at the two girls.
"We... we got separated in the town." she said, "I just managed to get out of it myself. I haven't seen your brother or your father again."
Ilèyn nodded apologetically as she stepped away from the girls and approached Tauriel again.
"Where are the dwarves, Tauriel?" she asked quickly, unable to hide the fear in her voice.
"Tauriel." said a voice behind them. Ilèyn turned around and met Legolas' serious look. "We have to go, come at last."
Behind him came Diari, who was leading two horses on both hands. She handed the reins to the Woodland Prince, then hurried over to Ilèyn and hugged her briefly.
"I'm so glad nothing happened to you." Diari said softly.
"You don't get rid of me that quickly, you know that." replied Ilèyn, amused. As the two broke out of their embrace, Tauriel and Ilèyn looked at each other.
"I'll take care of both of them." said the archer and looked briefly over at the girls.
"You missed the dwarves, Ilèyn. They are gone, set off for the mountain." said Tauriel in passing. Ilèyn looked at the floor. When she was about to say something, Tauriel turned back to her.
"All three are alive, don't worry." she said gently and looked at Ilèyn reassuringly. Then the dwarf couldn't help smiling in response. The dwarfs were finally on the last leg of their homeland. The fear Ilèyn had for Fili evaporated and gave way to great relief. Then her face quickly became serious again and she nodded briefly to Tauriel and Legolas before hurrying after the girls who were just about to continue looking for their father.

"Da!" Tilda suddenly shouted as she squeezed past some people. Sigrid ran after her sister.
"You're alive!"
As Ilèyn approached, she saw how the girls had fallen on their father's neck and he held them in a long and tight hug, relieved that his daughters were alive. Then Ilèyn also saw Bain, who was standing next to his father.
"It was Bard!" someone shouted "He killed the dragon! I saw it with me own eyes!" An older man had raised his voice and stepped before the people who were beginning to gather around Bard.
"He brought the beast down!" shouted the man "Shot him dead with a black arrow!"
Immediately the people burst into joyous cheers.
"Thank you Bard!" they shouted, patted him on the shoulder, raised their fists in the air and clapped their hands. Ilèyn was pushed to the side and back by the people as they cheered Bard.
"All hail to the Dragon-Slayer!" someone suddenly shouted over the crowd.
Ilèyn pushed herself a little forward again between the people in order to be able to see something. She fought hard against the desire to flee from this crowd, but this was a priority. She also had to come to the mountain and only the people here could help her.
"All hail King Bard!" Now Ilèyn recognized Alfrid, who had taken Bard's hand and held it up to the sky, grinning broadly. Ilèyn's expression darkened when she saw that disgusting bursa of a man in front of her.
Bard tore himself free and glared at Alfrid.
"I have said it many times!" Alfrid continued with a raised finger. "This is a man of noble stock. A born leader!"
"Do not call me that!" interrupted Bard, "I'm not the Master of this town."
The man turned and looked around.
"Where is he?" he shouted angrily "Where's the Master?"
"Halfway down the Anduin!" replied a woman bitterly "With all our coin, I don't doubt."
Ilèyn looked over at the woman who had just distributed blankets among the people. Now she pointed accusingly at Alfrid.
"You would know!" she said, "You helped him empty the treasury!"
"Thief!" someone shouted from the crowd.
Ilèyn feared that the people would soon become very aggressive very quickly and she preferred not to be in the midst of a crowd of angry fishermen. She looked around and saw the people getting closer and closer to Alfrid and getting angrier.
"I tried to stop him!" shouted Alfrid "I begged. I pleaded!"
"Away with him!" came another angry shout from the crowd.
"I said Master, no!" Alfrid was now almost drowned out by the people around him.
"Think of the children." he said and looked around for help. He saw Sigrid and Tilda who were standing with Ilèyn and grabbed Tilda's arm to pull her towards him.
"Will nobody think of the children?" he shouted.
Tilda gave him a targeted kick, so that he let go of her, whereupon Ilèyn couldn't help giving a short, mischievous grin.