TEN YEARS LATER... (happy one year to princess!)

Start from the beginning

Florence swept past Thomas, pinching a piece of toast from his plate and heading towards where Frypan was cooking up breakfast for the early birds of the camp. She could hear her brother whining about the toast she was happily munching away on, but merely ignored him.

"Good morning Florence." Fry greeted cheerfully, serving her up some food.

"Good morning, you know, you're the best cook in this place." She gushed, as he scoffed playfully.

"You only say that cause I give you extras."

She wandered away from him and towards her brother, waving her hand dismissively but looking over her shoulder to smile at him. He was shaking his head knowingly.

"Because you're the best!" She called to him.

Florence and Thomas quickly finished their breakfast, feeling the need to hurry after Brenda and Gally collapsed into seats beside them, arguing about some sort of issue with building. Thomas and Florence exchanged a knowing glance. Both Brenda and Gally were too stubborn to come to an agreement, meaning their small disagreement seemed likely to stretch on forever.

"Go on," Florence relented, "Tell us what's going on."

Thomas tried to hide his scowl aimed at his sister, but the girl's words had sent Brenda into a frenzy of explaining Gally's building design for a row of new huts up on the top of the mountain. Before she was even finished with explaining it, Gally had cut in to bicker with her about something she said, and then Florence and Thomas took that moment to slip away.

They didn't want to get between the bickering couple.

Florence could still hear their argument from on the beach, almost half way across the camp from Brenda and Gally. She decided to tune them out, glancing towards her trusty fishing boat - which she and Thomas named 'The Glade' - and spotting Harriet and Sonya nearby.

The beach was one of her favourite parts of the camp.

At this time of day, so early in the morning, it was glorious to walk over the white sands and gaze out at the horizon with the water peacefully lapping against your feet. Florence had swam a few times at the crack of dawn, not regretting it once despite how cold she found it.

And later on, during the day or in the evening, it was filled with life. Kids were found building sandcastles, learning to swim, or playing hazardous games of volleyball across the stretch of sand. Parents and other adults would lounge around in sunbathing, or embrace their inner kid by splashing into the waves.

It was always heaven there.

"You guys are heading out again?" Harriet questioned, straightening up from where she was leaned against a fishing boat.

It wasn't the one that Florence and Thomas tended to take out onto the water. Gally must have built it recently, and now Harriet and Sonya were painting it.

"It's supposed to be really good for fishing today." Sonya added, putting down her paintbrush onto the tin of paint by her feet.

"Yeah but it's us. How likely is it that we'll get anything?" Thomas replied snarkily.

Florence nudged his side and added that, "Well I believe in us, even if Thomas doesn't."

They waved the two of them goodbye, and boarded 'The Glade', wobbling over the small waves in the shore before peacefully gliding across the calm water to reach the stretch of sea that Vince advised was best to fish from.

They set up their fishing rods and settled back into their seats. Thomas was staring fondly at their camp on shore, which was only a few speckles of light and colour from their distance.