Chapter 39: Of Fiction and Reality

Start from the beginning

His heart lurched at the familiar sight of the apartment, eyes gazing up at the third floor.

For a brief moment as lightning struck once more, he shut his eyes as a much different picture came to mind

.

.

.

He still stood there only the sky was clear and a bright baby blue, the sun soaking into his skin as he locked the car.

Summer had just started it's departure, the air slightly crisp with a refreshing cold.

It was better than a stuffy airplane, that much he could say.

He was tired but his relief at returning home from such a grueling trip was euphoric.

The man stretched and yawned, jet lagged from the 4 hour flight and wanting nothing more than to settle back in and possibly take a nap. He always had issues adjusting to time zones and he hated how exhausted it left him. But, such is life.

"Dad!"

The man looked up to see a young kid leaning over the railing (almost dangerously might he add), smile wide and eyes sparkling with a warm excitement as he waved to the man below.

The man smiled at the sight of his son, a feeling of relief and joy spreading through his chest.

He decided he could relax later. For now, he just wanted to see his son.

The young boy raced down the stairs and met the man who jogged a few places forward, wrapping his arms around the man with a grin lining ear to ear.

The man smiled back and wrapped his arms around his son, lifting him off the ground slightly which earned a giggle from the child latched onto him.

The kid closed his eyes and gave a content sigh. "Glad you're home..."

The man smiled brightly as he gently tightened his grip around the boy. "Glad to be home..."

He truly was. His publisher could not have called him away at a worse time.

His son had just started his third year of elementary school and not even a week in was the man called away for work over his new book coming out.

Both he and his son weren't happy about it, but the kid knew the man's job paid the bills.

He hated leaving his son by himself like this but, there wasn't much they could do about it.

That still left them the issue of finding someone to watch over the kid while he was away. He wasn't leaving his son alone mind you. The stressed out dad had asked the mom of his son's friend to watch over him until he returned. But that didn't mean the man couldn't worry about his kid.

Luckily, he could put that stress behind him.

The man set his son back on his feet as he looked down at him. He looked to the apartment before back to the kid.