7. For the Whole World to See

Chapter 7: For the Whole World to See

Cady.

"Well fuck me gently with a chainsaw, if it isn't the flamingo squad," Heather Chandler remarked, as usual a hand on her hip and a derisive smile on her face.

"That's bold coming from the group that takes color inspiration from Teletubbies characters," Regina retorted. "Or were you trying to replicate a human traffic light?"

They both glared viciously at each other.

Cady stood firmly next to Gretchen, realizing she had a group now (even if it was just to spy on them) and had to stand by their side. Jake stepped forward, trying to diffuse the situation instead. His best friends may have hung out with the plastics more, but he was the closest thing to a neutral party among the popular people, and tried to stay on good terms with all of them.

"Girls, come on, maybe we should all just-"

"Shut it, Jake!" both queen bees spat at the same time.

He grinned.

"See? You have more in common than you realize!"

Regina groaned and Heather C rolled her eyes. Before anything else could be said or blood could spill, the teacher appeared.

Miss Flemming gave them all a big smile.

"Such a big turn up this year!" she exclaimed approvingly. "Hello everyone! I'd like to think this keen interest in theater this year is because I became the new teacher, and not just for the broadcast."

"Personally, Miss Flemming, I just want what's best for the school," Heather Chandler said sweetly, in her best imitation of a nice girl, which is exactly what all adults saw when they looked at her.

"Excuse me, broadcast?" Cady asked curiously.

"Well, yes! The school informed me that unless our popularity increased, our funds would be diverted. To the Frisbee Golf Team," she said it like it was a curse word. "So I pulled some strings, it was nothing, really, just some contacts from my more liberal days..." Her fake modesty was painfully apparent. "And anyway, the first full performance of our play will be broadcasted through television and online nationwide for an audience of millions of viewers!"

Cady was surprised. And quickly, it all started making sense, this interest the popular kids had in the play, how they were butting heads... they could go from being royalty only in their highschools to being sensations in the whole country, extend their webs, their influence, across many states. It was a bit scary, even.

"So we need to pull off a very good show, make the school proud!"

A girl Cady hadn't met yet energetically raised her hand.

"Yes, Christine?"

"What play are we gonna do?"

"Our own," the teacher informed them with a grin, to everyone's dismay. She took her hands to her chest. "One that comes from the very depths of our hearts! We will talk, lay down all our fears, our dreams, and make an emotional, heartfelt, deep, original play out of it!"

Most students seemed displeased with that.

"I think that sounds quite nice," Heather McNamara said with a hopeful smile.

Heather rolled her eyes, and then raised her own perfectly manicured hand.

"Miss Flemming, what about the characters? I'm assuming there will be a prominent lead to carry out our deep, heartfelt message properly? Because I feel like I would-"