25. Pissing off the wrong person

"Don't leave me behind! I have not been of much use yet, but I don't want to be laid aside, like baggage to be called for when all is over." (J.R.R Tolkien, The Return of the King)

"Why can't I be under Zephyr's command, instead of Akhenaton's?"

Fayez had been asking Ashur the same question a good thousand times in the last half hour. Of course, he already knew the answer - but that didn't discourage him from asking.

He had finally came to understand that the students in Akhenaton's section had one purpose. This purpose was to protect their classmates from other sections during their missions. They were supposed to have their backs if they happened to be attacked by other creatures.

It was a noble cause, of course, but it wasn't what Fayez had had in mind, when he had first joined the Institute for Supernatural Beings.

He had come here to protect the human race, and apparently, that was a mission exclusively reserved to Zephyr's students. Every section was given a specific task, and the Spirit of the Woods, who was supposed to read people's mind, had purposely sent him to the wrong section.

That was fucking unfair. He had spent his whole life letting his parents decide for him, and even now that he was far away from home, he was still treated like a helpless infant?

Of course, the rules were the same for all the students, and he wasn't the only one not to get what he wanted. Still, just because they applied to everyone didn't mean the rules weren't unfair.

He had first told Nassiba how he felt about it, using a lot of non too kind words against the mysterious Headmaster. Her friend had first tried to convince him that there wasn't anything they could do about it, and that they should focus on learning as many skills as possible, instead of going against the system.

She had made a good point, too, when she had told him that the students knew what they were getting themselves into, before they arrived at the Institute.

Problem was, at that time Fayez had been mostly clueless about the renewed institute. It had made him sad but then, as often these days, he had turned his sadness into anger.

Anger against his parents, for always keeping him in the dark.

Anger against the Headmaster, for acting like they were some sort of omnipotent Deity, who could never be seen by insignificant creatures.

Anger against his mates, for not letting him try to heal Zephyr with his bared hands. For not trusting that he would survive if he did it.

Who the fuck did they all think he was?

He was an adult.

He was a vampire.

He was one of the strongest recruit at the Institute.

He didn't need to be protected from anyone or anything.

"As I've told you over and over again, Fayez dear, you should ask the Headmaster about it, not me." Ashur eventually replied to his question in a non-too patient voice. "And please, don't address him in the same rude way you're talking to me right now."

He was starting to really piss off the prefect - that much was obvious. Pissing off the ever so collected man could seem like an impossible mission, but Fayez proved surprisingly gifted when it came to being an annoying little brat.

Maybe he did deserve the title that Akhenaton had given to him, after all.

Little brat.

Or the other one. The one he had only said once. The one that gave him butterflies in his stomach, although he would never admit it to the brunet.

Baby brat.