14. The more the merrier

"If you are made for flight, intended for it, you had better find a pursuer, fast. Otherwise, all that fleeing is going nowhere." (Dan Chiasson)

Fayez wasn't thinking about running away. He was thinking about making a dignified exit. Now, that was a very different thing.

Would it really be that bad to just leave the ISB? After all, he was already a very skilled and powerful vampire. Every prefect, Akhenaton excluded, had agreed on that point.

No. No, he had to stay. He shouldn't loose this opportunity of studing at a prestigious Institute just because he was uncomfortable with the idea of sharing a bedroom with the three men.

Plus, for some reason he couldn't bear the thought of going away from Masters Zephyr, Ashur and even Akhenaton. The idea of never seeing them again made him feel lost, like he would then be truly alone in this big and confusing world that he had yet to explore. Of course, this sounded a bit ridiculous but he couldn't help feeling the way he did.

Yet, he also didn't want to be a burden to them, and he could picture way too clearly what their reactions would be like, when he would let them know about the Headmaster's decision.

Maybe he could simply pretend he didn't really understand what the Headmaster had told him, and stay in his own bedroom. Yes, that was a clever plan.  Surely, the Headmaster would quickly forget about it, as Fayez doubted they were really paying close attention to the students. Very few were those who had already met them in person.

He was so absorbed in his spiralling anxiety, that he almost bumped into someone who was running from the opposite direction.

"Oops, careful there" the person said, their voice full of humor.

"Helmut! Oh My Lord, it's been ages since the last time I saw you! How have you been doing?"

"I know it's been a while, but please don't call me 'My Lord', you're gonna make me blush" Helmut replied good-naturedly.

Fayez laughed a bit, and then, to Helmut's greatest surprise, he gave a tight hug to the smaller man. He wasn't usually a touchy person, so this was a first, but he was so happy to see his friend again that he had acted spontaneously.

"Well, someone's been missing me", Helmut commented, while patting his friend's back rather awkwardly.

Finally sensing the redhaired's discomfort, Fayez let go of him, before apologizing with an embarrassed smile for his over-excitement.

"Don't fuss about it. I'm just not used to the hugging, that's all. I don't mind at all, though.", Helmut reassured him. "Plus, it's kinda cute to see you acting all cuddly, although you do give bear hugs.My vampire friend doesn't know his own strenght! I swear I could feel my bones cracking" he added, with a wink.

"Helmut! Are you flirting with me right now?" Fayez chuckled.

"I definitely am" Helmut confirmed, but Fayez could tell he was joking around.

"Good thing I'm not taken, then" he whispered, his voice taking a falsely sensual tone.

"My good friend, I'm not that gullible. You're not taken... yet. It's just a matter of time"

Fayez raised an eyebrow, as he looked at Helmut with a confused expression.

"What do you mean, I'm not taken yet?"

"Well, it's pretty obvious you'll end up with our three handsome prefects soon or late."

"Interesting theory"

"Trust me Fayez, I've read enough romance stories to know how these things work. Lucky you, these men are gorgeous!"

"Look, Helmut, I don't th-"