friends

The beeping was the only thing he could hear over the roaring wind and pounding rain as he watched her, lying as still as can be

The beeping was the only thing he could hear over the roaring wind and pounding rain as he watched her, lying as still as can be. Her soft exhalations fogged up her respirator with every breath.

Izuku Midoriya stared down at her bandaged arms and pressed his palms roughly against his knees. When she needed him, he wasn't there.

"Deku, you need to eat," an auburn-haired girl said, holding up a small tray of food consisting of salted fish and rice, "You're withering away. Y/N will wake up, I'm sure of it."

"I know. I want to be here when she does," Izuku clenched his hands into fists, "Thanks, Uraraka."

The girl tentatively set the tray on the nightstand and slowly trudged out, "Yell if you need anything."

Ever since Izuku Midoriya recovered from the battle, he had been here, beside Y/N. Her hair was splayed over her pillow, framing her peaceful face. He looked dully at the feeding machine that stood so close to the bed, dripping some kind of liquid into Y/N's body.

This was his life now. At least until she wakes up. He was never going to leave her again, especially when she needs him.

"Damnit, Y/N, you're killing me here," he whispered into his palms, "Just wake up."

"When you do, we can go to that new mochi shop you were talking about. You love mochi. You always got the colorful ones and you insisted that I get some too."

The boy smiled wistfully, "You were such a messy eater too. Always dripping soup everywhere and smudging sauce all over your face."

He leaned closer to the sleeping girl, "Remember that bake-off? We ended up spilling flour all over the floor and Mr. Aizawa banned us from ever trying to bake again."

"All the shopping trips with Uraraka, Tsu, Kaminari, and Jirou. Remember when Shigaraki attacked me? We can go again when you wake up. I promise to get you the little otter-shaped crystal you had been eying."

"All those times you watched over me in the hospital, did you feel like this too?" Izuku put his palm to his face, his voice trembling slightly, "I promise that I'll never worry you like that ever again."

As he relived their old times, he was gently tracing her hands, "You always traced my hands like this, Y/N. Every scar, every blemish. Your hands have always been so cold."

"I miss your painful finger pokes and you ruffling my hair, putting it into small ponytails every time you had a spare elastic. Remember the purple fleece blanket with butterflies that you always keep in my room for our movie nights? We can watch the new horror film that came out a few days ago when you're better."

While the rain was pouring outside, swaying branches and beating down on the sidewalk, Izuku Midoriya was quietly relaying his memories and feelings to Y/N.

-

Her eyes finally cracked open. She could feel something weighing on her arms. It felt extremely soft and comforting. When her vision cleared, she could make out the silhouette of a boy, snoring softly, his hand holding hers and his green hair tickling her arms. She reached her arm over and ran her fingers through it. Despite being curly, it wasn't tangled.

With the sudden movement, the boy shot up, shooting bleary glances around the room.

"Y- Y/N?" he stumbled over his words and peered down at your face. His soft features melted in relief and he pranced up, "YOU'RE FINALLY BACK!"

Before the girl could say anything, the boy jumped up and bolted out, "MR. AIZAWA! KACCHAN! URARAKA! KIRISHIMA! TODOROKI!"

His voice quickly faded, leaving the girl in a state of confusion. Her mind was filled with everything, yet nothing at all. There was an unmistakable whirling in her head, resulting in a pounding headache. There was an unfamiliar mask on her face, pumping more air into her than she could handle. She tore it off and sat up, ruffling her hair. She glanced at the IV and tore it off with one smooth motion.

The room was starting to become small and stuffy. She couldn't remember why she was here or how she got here. Swinging her still bandaged legs over the bed, she tested her weight. The girl could stand just fine, but when she took a step, her legs began to shiver, as if the uneven distribution of her weight made her unbalanced.

Loud footsteps of many different people have started to approach and almost a moment later, the same green-haired boy stumbled into the room. The girl took a step back and tripped over her own feet. The boy was quick, catching her, and returned her to her bed.

"Why did you tear your IV out," he fretted, looking at the blood that was accumulating on her arm, "I brought everyone! They've all been so worried for you."

He pulled her into a tight hug, drawing little circles onto her back. The girl took in a deep, shuddery breath. The boy smelled faintly of mangoes and clean laundry.

A haggard man burst through the doorway, panting slightly. He was followed by around twenty students, each shoving the other out of the way.

"Y/N! YOU'RE FINALLY BACK!"

A girl with an appearance similar to a frog delicately wrapped her into a hug, "I've missed you, ribbit!"

Her eyes dimmed with panic, unsure of where to look or who to listen to. Everyone was shouting things at her. Upon noticing her expression, Izuku's smile faltered.

"What's wrong, Y/N? We're your friends. You're safe."

Opening her mouth, she spoke for the first time, "I'm sorry. Who are you guys?"

All conversation froze. Everyone stared at the girl with disbelief. The sudden silence made the girl squirm uncomfortably.

Her eyes flit over to the green-haired boy. He looked crestfallen, his eyes wide and his hands were quivering by his side.

"Oh, move it you extras," a gruff voice sounded. An ash-blond shoved everyone out of the way, strutting toward the girl, explosions popping in hand, "Drop the act you damn dweeb. You're not funny."

"Oi, Kacchan," the green-haired boy pulled him back. He walked over to you, hands quickly wiping his tears, "It's okay, Y/N, don't mind him. I'm Midoriya Izuku.

And we're your friends."

"