so much has happened

nini salazar-roberts paced frantically around the tiny apartment scattered with cardboard moving boxes. ricky and nini were finally venturing out of salt lake city in hopes of being able to achieve their career dreams. she was unsure if she would be able to pursue her dream, now that she suspects she's pregnant. nini figured her missed periods were due to stressing over moving. despite her doubts, nini informed ricky of her suspicions.

she anxiously bit on her fingernails as she awaited the results of her third pregnancy test. the first pregnancy test displayed a big bold smiley face as soon as she completed it. the second and third tests read 'pregnant' and '+'. yet nini was in denial of the situation, not believing she was actually pregnant. ricky sat on the edge of their bathtub as nini took another pregnancy test.

"false positives right? they have to be." nini mumbled from the toilet,

quickly after finishing her fourth test, nini began researching false positives on pregnancy tests. false positives do occur, yet are unlikely to occur often. especially in multiple tests. nini had an iud implanted, how could she be pregnant?

iud pregnancies are rare. nini felt conflicted, she didn't want to believe she was pregnant. but the tests couldn't lie. nini booked a doctor's appointment to confirm the pregnancy and check on her iud.

ricky on the other hand was convinced this pregnancy had to be immaculate conception. ricky and nini were as safe as a young couple could be. ricky wasn't the type to wear condoms, both preferring the natural feeling over latex. nini didn't think she would be able to get pregnant with birth control. but here they were.

"how are you pregnant while on birth control? i must have super sperm."

nini glared at her boyfriend, she was in no laughing mood. this was a serious situation that she was unsure they were ready for. making jokes about their situation felt wrong.

"but they are all positives, smiley faces, plus signs, and two lines. i think i'm kinda you know... pregnant? i have to be pregnant, right?"

ricky glanced up from his cell phone nervously, the internet made him anxious to find out if nini was pregnant or not. the internet findings were unnerving for the young couple. if her iud had fell out, it would explain how nini got pregnant. or there is also the possibility that her iud was altered after sex or improperly inserted. regardless of how it occurred, nini was pregnant with or without her iud. but, if her iud hasn't fell out; it will need to be removed which could result in pregnancy loss.

nini slowly picked up the fourth pregnancy test, unable to look at it. she shakily took a deep breath, yet another 'pregnant 4 weeks'.

"i'm pregnant. i mean i have to be... but if i my iud is still implanted i would need it removed. the removal is risky..." nini sniffled out,

ricky ran his hands through his curly hair, he couldn't help but feel overwhelmed by the situation. ricky and nini were supposed to take a long road trip to los angeles, they were going to pursue her music career while he owned a skate shop. how could they afford to leave salt lake with a baby? nini being pregnant would derail their plans. his mind was whirling with doubts until he heard nini release pent up sobs.

"it's gonna be okay, neens. i promise. we're gonna be okay."

nini continued to cry softly in his arms but seemed content with his words for the moment. she was scared. ricky understood completely he was scared too. the idea of being a father was daunting to him.

"what about our plans?"

ricky hadn't expected her to ask him such a direct question. he wasn't sure what they were going to do now, they could possibly have to be financially responsible for another human being. ricky couldn't focus on his thoughts with nini's pleading eyes looking up to him tearfully.