Chapter Twenty-Three

A group of noisy teenagers wait for their train back to Brooklyn. Some are wandering around the station, some putting the last of their change in vending machines to get candy.

But waiting patiently on a bench is Bucky Barnes, Steve Roger and Cassie Carter. The trio sits on the bench with their bags under the table. Bucky and Steve talk about what there going to do during the summer break, but they don't seem to realize that Cassie's not listening to a word they're saying.

Millions of thoughts buzz through Cassie's brain and she doesn't get a chance to even comprehend half the questions,

Was Betty talking about my archery skills? You use your hands for archery.

But why would she be scared to tell me?

Should I believe what she's telling me?

Why should I? Who believes that sort of shit?

But it can't be coincidental that both Betty and the other girl had the same reaction.

But they both used different methods. Betty used those cards and the girl used tea leaves.

"Doll? Cass? Cassie? Is she even listening to us?" Bucky says as he swipes his hand in the font on the redhead.

"I don't know. Maybe shake her slightly." Steve says as he looks at the girl sitting in front of him, using her palm to keep her head up as she stares blankly at the table.

Just as Bucky shakes the redhead beside him she looks up frankly. Before her eyes land and her two best friends looking at her concern.

"What is the train here?" She asks confused and both boys shake their heads,

"No. But are you okay? You didn't hear me calling your name." Bucky asks from beside her,

"I'm fine. My mind is just going wild with questions. That's all. Don't worry." She says trying to reassure the two boys. Thankfully they believe her and push it aside.

"Well, Buck and I were talking about what we are doing for summer break," Steve says excitedly and Cassie smiles at him.

"So what are we doing for the summer holidays?" She asks and both boys look at her with a bewildered expression.

"A holiday? What is a holiday?" Bucky asks confused with his eyebrows pulled together but in a monotone voice.

"You know. A holiday. Like when you go overseas." Cassie tries to explain but the boys are not more confused. Is that's even possible?

"What?" Steve perplexedly asks and Cassie rolls her eyes.

"Like the sea. Sandcastle. In the summer holidays, you would go to maybe the beach with your family." Cassie again tries to explain,

"Oh, you mean a vacation." Bucky chirps up and Cassie nods.

"Yes, a vacation. But in England, we call summer break. Summer holidays." Cassie tells the two clueless boys.

"Okay... pushing that aside. This year my aunt and uncle are away on vacation and they need someone to mind their house. But the best bit is, is that it's on the 4th of July. So we can watch the fireworks from outside." Bucky explains as he watches Cassie's face light up like a Christmas tree.

"Oh my god. That's amazing. So how long until the 4th of July..." Cassie trails off thinking.

"A week or two. When I was younger I used to watch the fireworks in their backyard. That's where the best view is." Bucky says giddily.