'I think the choice is pretty clear now Lizzie.'

"You are right." I hugged my knees closer to me, the cold getting to me and just stared at the water and ripples created as the fish swam. All these thoughts drained me emotionally as the tears fell one by one and I let out a sob as I realised how messed up my life currently was.

I don't know what happened but I got hit by an onslaught of sadness, my heart feeling heavy yet empty at the same time.

However, I also knew that I was no longer that old little girl. Yes, I still wanted a family and people to love me but these people were not my family. 

There was no way they were getting the honor of being called my family. I know my worth now and I know that they are not worthy of me.

'Exactly!' I let out a half cry and half laugh at her. I could not believe I was actually going to waste my tears on these people. My fingers, on their own, grazed the tattoo on my right inner wrist. It was a tattoo I got a few years ago. It consisted of an open book. The left page had a black wolf with silver eyes standing, facing the right page. On the right page, there was a girl with her hands extended to touch the wolf's head, reaching to the left page. I got it done as a reminder that I was never alone.

"I have another question, Crescent."

'Shoot'

"What did grandmother mean when she said, just like a leader?" No answer. "Crescent?"

'Mate! Mate!' She said happily, confusing me.

But then I felt it. A strong presence around us. A powerful aura that engulfed the entire garden. I wiped the tear stains on my cheeks and turned around, hoping I no longer looked like an emotional wreck. Alexander was standing a few feet away from me, his blue eyes fixed on mine. Even in the darkness, he looked handsome. The presence of the glowing lanterns and fireflies around him only made him stand out, especially his eyes.

He had also changed out of his clothes from earlier. He had black slacks on and a black shirt tucked in. The sleeves were rolled up and just like earlier, his two top buttons were undone. He held his blazer in one hand and the other hand was stuffed in his front pocket as he studied me. After the whole emotional and draining experience, all the excitement from when I first saw him had vanished into thin air.

I did not know what to do. I did not know what to say. My mind was blank, I was exhausted and trying to start a conversation right now was too much work for me. I simply let out a small sigh and turned back to the pond. "What are you doing here?"

'Great first impression Lizzie'

"Crescent we already had our first impression on him and it was of me drooling over him" I reminded her.

"I could ask you the same thing." His voice made me feel something, just like it did in the meeting. I felt him step closer and I saw his reflection in the water as he stood behind me. Our gazes locked in the water.

"I needed air." I simply said and he hummed in response

'Why don't you tell him about your family Lizzie? He will understand. He is our mate. He must be able to do something. After all, he is the king of demons. Maybe he could send them to hell since demons are always associated with hell'

"I am not taking that risk Crescent. It's not even been a day since we met and this is our first conversation."

'He is our mate'

"And?"

'Mates are supposed to love and care for each other.'

"Families are also supposed to love and care for each other but my life breaks every possible stereotype out there. I am not taking any chance."

'It's your choice'

I saw Alexander's expression in the water. He seemed bothered and hesitant. I was way too familiar with these expressions now. So, I braced myself for the worst and asked him. "You have something to say?"

He avoided my gaze in the water as he searched for the words. "Just spit it out." I said, the anxiety getting the best of me. From his reaction I knew it was not anything good but how bad would it be? Worse than my family?

"We are mates and you know it too." He started. "But please don't tell anyone about it." It was worse than my family's words. I felt Crescent whimper while I just froze.

Even my mate does not want me. I did not know whether to laugh or cry at my fate.

Another stereotype broken.

A few seconds passed by and none of us spoke. As I realised he was not joking, I asked "Why?" My voice came out firm.

"I can't explain."

"You can't explain?" I scoffed. "And yet you expect me to just listen to you. What do you take me for?"

He stayed quiet. "Just don't tell anyone. Please." Before I could even say anything he left. I started laughing.

God, how fucked up could my life get?

I sat there and waited for the tears to come or for the sobs or the pain or the heartbreak but nothing came. I only felt one emotion: Hatred.

I did not hate myself or my life but most of the people in my life. Without these people, my life could have actually been great.

'He is our mate Lizzie. I am sure he has his reasons'

"Crescent I know you are hurting more than me right now. But I am not going to tell you that everything will be alright because I have no clue what the future holds for us. But I promise you that I will do my best to keep you happy. I will not let a man break me because I am powerful enough on my own. I will be strong for both of us." She did not answer and I did not press any further.

I reached my hand out to my left, searching for my heels but instead, I felt a piece of fabric. Alexander's blazer. I took the blazer, placing it on my lap.

Why did he leave this here?

I don't care.

'Lizzie'

"No, Crescent." I warned her. If he wanted to give me this he could have man up and just said the words instead of just letting this here. As addictive as his scent was, I was not keeping it with me. So, I did the only thing I thought would help me release some of my frustration.

I tore his blazer apart before throwing it in the pond.

Maybe he did not leave the blazer for me but he did leave it here.

With a satisfied smile, I got up, dusted my dress and took my heels in my hand and headed to my room.