Chapter 30

I woke up on the floor of my baby room, where I had fallen asleep the previous day. I was still holding Shino's pendant but now, a thick blanket was laid over me and the curtains were closed. When I rose, I noticed a pile of clothes neatly folded on the dresser. They definitely seemed to be a step up from this stupid hospital nightgown I was currently donning. While they were a bit thinner and way more formal than I was used to, I supposed it was something expected to be worn by a prince of the Sanctus World. Prince... I didn't think I'd ever get used to that. I didn't think I could or if I wanted to. At the very least, this outfit had deep and secure pockets that I could safely stow away Shino's pendant into.

I walked over to the window and opened the curtains, even lifting up the glass so I could get a breath of fresh air. I leaned over the windowsill and let the breeze rustle my silvery-white hair as I looked over the city. The rays of morning were just beginning to stream over the buildings and I was suddenly blinded by streaks of golden yellow, sherbet orange, and coral pink. It was beautiful, but a different sort of beauty than the kind of sunrise I'd find in Omega. I felt a little homesick but at the same time, it was mitigated somewhat by the fact that I was at a home away from home. Sanctus.

"Your Highness." I flinched.

When I turned around, it was a maid that greeted me, wearing a simple dress and bowing her head respectfully.

"Are you talking to me?" I asked like an idiot. I was the only one in the room, who else would she be referring to!?

"Yes," the maid said simply. "King Blazar has requested that you partake in breakfast with him, together with Prince Kuiper and Princess Stella. I am here to lead you to the dining hall."

Oh, hell, this couldn't be good. Despite my dry throat, I followed the servant through the winding halls of the palace. Blazar was going to be my saving grace here since I knew Kuiper hated my guts and if he really saw me as a threat to his daughter's claim to the throne, that meant both he and his daughter were gonna be gunning for my throat during this entire meal. Still, I reminded myself, they were my blood relatives. Even if it took every ounce of my patience, I should try to be respectful and polite. Or at least as respectful and polite as Omega got. Hell, I was already starting to forget some of my table manners.

Our dining grounds were outside the palace, in a lush garden filled with blue and white roses and creeping vines bearing berries the colors of white winter, autumn rains, golden summers, and blush-touched springs. I'd never seen so many beautiful plants; Omega didn't have much in the way of wildlife. The sun was trickling down like a babbling brook and despite my nerves, its warmth allowed me to feel a bit more comfortable. No matter where in the world I might be, the sun always shone the same. That was a truth I could take comfort in. My family was waiting for me under a white pavilion, decked out with a clothed table and golden silverware.

I didn't notice this before, but Kuiper looked a hella lot like I did. I suppose when it came down to it, I probably resembled my mother more than I did my father and it showed in comparison to members of her side of the family. Kuiper's silvery-white hair was smoothed at the base of his neck and was comparable to his daughter, whose same silver-white hair was styled into a fashionable bob.

I sat down self-consciously at the seat directly opposite from Blazar and he greeted me with a smile.

"Ah, Hiro, finally." Blazar nodded. "Let me formally introduce you: This is Kuiper, my son, and his daughter, Stella."

"A pleasure," I said, ignoring the dryness of my throat. Kuiper remained silent. He wouldn't even look in my direction.

"It's so nice to finally meet you, cousin!" Stella gushed. She had a sweet smile on her face but the snide fury in her star-studded blue eyes told a different story. It made me nervous, if not awkward.