12 - What Are We?

Start from the beginning

He looks good in white...

"Sit," I tell him as I make my way towards him.

He hesitantly sits on the edge of his bed, "What are you up to now Kim Sunni?"

I roll my eyes, "You know, I'm not only scheming things."

He scoffs, "Yeah, right."

I shake my head and get closer to him. Maybe too close for comfort.

I look at his still red cheek. His dad must have a heavy hand. I mean he did almost have me flying across the room with that push.

I gently place the ice pack against his cheek.

"Sunni, I'm fine," Jungwon keeps insisting.

"Your red cheek says otherwise," I say.

"And you?" He asks me.

"What about me?" I then question him.

He then stands up making my nose hit his chest.

"Ya," I say holding my nose. He sits me down at the edge of his bed and heads into his bathroom. 

"Yang Jungwon you need to ice your cheek!" I shout so he can hear me.

He walks back out with a first aid kit and squats in front of me. Deja vu from the bus stop for sure.

He picks up my foot, "Worried about me yet you have all these blisters on your foot."

"Jungwon, I'm fine," I say. 

"Your blistered foot says otherwise," he says mimicking me as he looks up at me. 

I pout. Alright, he wins.

He gently applies medicine on my blisters. 

"Jungwon," I call out to him softly.

"Mm?" He lets out still focused on applying the medicine.

I want to ask him about what happened the other time his dad hit him. I want to know why his dad would do such a thing. Jungwon acting like this is normal isn't normal.

"Ah, nothing," I change my mind.

"Does it hurt?" He asks.

I shake my head, "No, I'm fine." He finishes applying the medicine and put on bandages around my foot.

He throws himself on his bed and lays there looking at the ceiling. I do the same and scoot closer to him.

"My dad..." Jungwon starts to say. "He beat me up because I wanted to become an idol..."

I turn to my side to look at him. 

"I told my grandma about it and she helped me with dance and vocal classes, until my parents found out," He takes a deep breath in and out. "They had someone tail me for like weeks," he then looks at me. "Weeks Sunni..."

"That's absurd," I comment.

He looks back to the ceiling, "Very..." he sighs. "They kicked halmeoni out and I was left alone, bruised up here in this very room."

That's when it clicks for me. When he suddenly stopped wanting to practice with me...

"Are they still tailing you?" I ask.

He nods slowly, "My mom found out I was practicing with you."

Bingo.

"I'm sorry, I really wanted to-"

"Don't be sorry," I cut him off. "It wasn't your fault."

"Then now," Jungwon continues. "They already have someone for me to marry? I'm literally losing my mind."