viii. the naked and the dead

image : gene tierney as mary griffin

The six friends went for a run at five in the morning

The six friends went for a run at five in the morning. Jogging as a group through the forest, their pounding footsteps and deep, measured breaths sounded loudly in their own ears but were largely inconsequential to the world around them.

Charles and Betty took the leading positions, energetic and thriving under the conditions, with Edward and Douglas behind them, carefully paced and in control of themselves. Hayley and Mary took up the rear. Mary, unathletic and struggling and Hayley, unwilling to leave Mary in the back with Douglas or Edward, who would tease her relentlessly for the entire duration of their run.

One day the sweet, gentle English major would snap and murder them all, and it was Hayley's personal mission to prevent that from happening.

The society's high expectations of the friends' abilities to maintain a rigorous exercise schedule was one of the only reasons Hayley ever had any doubts about joining the cause and committing to the requirements. She was plenty athletic and could handle the morning runs and the evening sparring matches, but it was the constant need to be pushing herself that weighed on her. It was exhausting to, not only have to keep up with her workouts and regimens, but to also have to keep increasing her workload and challenging herself further as she was able to handle more. It was just so much time to commit to continuing to better herself.

They ran for five miles, in circles on the woodland trail, and by the time they returned the boarding house to clean up and get ready for a day of classes, they'd splashed mud all the way up their backs. Betty had it up her neck and in her hair; Charles had to clean it out of his ears. They all showered and dressed and came down for breakfast. 

There were five other tenants of the boarding house. Four of them could eat breakfast with everyone every day, and one of them worked the graveyard shift at the telephone company and slept through the morning meal. As the six friends filed into the dining room, welcomed by the smell of bacon and coffee, the four tenants and the two landowners greeted them exuberantly.

"You all get up so early," One of the tenants, an older man named Ronald commented. "Back when I was your age, my mother couldn't get me out of bed before seven with a pry bar." He laughed at himself, accepted the polite smile that Mary gave him, and went back to reading the sports page. He handed another tenant the business pages and kept quiet for the rest of the morning.

The other tenant was a War veteran, who had moved into the boarding house after being released from the hospital where he'd been bed-ridden for the final two weeks of the war. His arm was still in a sling, though the doctors thought that he was favoring it too much for it to ever heal properly from being shot. He nodded his thanks to the older man and wrestled with one hand the large, uncooperative pages of the newspaper.

Hayley sat beside him, shooting him a cheerful grin and a quiet good morning, pouring herself some coffee. "Would you like a refill, Donnie?" She asked him.