Chapter 2

We drove to Melody's favourite ice cream place. We parked and walked up to the outdoor window. Melody was already telling Will all about her favourite ice cream by the time we got there. She seemed to be doing much better, even if I kept catching her yawning. "Melody, how about you show Will our special spot while me and Will's dad get your ice cream?"

"Ooh yeah follow me!" She walked off to the bench under a large maple tree where we always sat.

"So what are you going to get?" Reid asked once the kids were out of the way.

"Black Raspberry Thunder. White chocolate ice cream with raspberry swirl and chunks of white chocolate. It's my favourite flavour."

"That sounds really good. I might just have to change up my usual order, then again I am a sucker for a good chocolate ice cream."

"Well, I'm a big fan of trying new things. Every time I go somewhere, I try to have something I've never had before."

"So why aren't you getting a new flavour here?"

"Well, I've been coming here forever so I've already tried all of them."

We got up to the window and ordered two kids Moose Tracks and two regular Black Raspberry Thunders. Reid and I carried them over to the kids before sitting on the bench. Will and Melody sat together on the grass discussing Melody's bear.

"So what are you going to name your bear?" Will asked.

"Not sure yet. He's a boy, but I haven't come up with anything."

"My Uncle Dean always comes up with the coolest names. He got me a stuffed pig called Harry Porker and he's awesome." Will jumped in.

"Your Uncle Dean also wanted to name his dog Bob," Reid said.

"Bob is an awesome name!" Melody interrupted, "Like Bob the Builder! Ooh or my old bus driver Bob. He gave us candy on holidays! I think my bear's name is Bob cause he's awesome. Just like Will's Uncle Dean!"

I laughed as Melody stood up for Reid's brother. She was always standing up for something. It made me proud to be her mom. "You don't have to name him Bob if you don't want to Monkey. I'm sure Will's uncle wouldn't be upset if you called him something else."

"Nope, he's Bob."

"Well, I'll be sure to tell my brother that you named your teddy bear Bob for him." Reid said, "He will be so excited."

The kids kept chatting about Melody's new bear. I leaned back to watch Reid as he was talking to the kids. He was an amazing dad. Will adored him. Even Melody was warming up to him in a way she'd never done, even with her own father. I just couldn't figure out why this man is single.

"Hey Olive. Do you think I could get your number?" Wait what? This amazing Norse god of a man wants my number? Is he fucking with me? Why would he ever want my number? "You know... to um... schedule a- a play date? For Melody and Will sometime."

Oh... of course... for Will and Melody. They did seem to get along. I took the phone from his hand and quickly put my face down so I could type my number in to hide my blush. "We're not free this weekend, but would next weekend work? You could come over to my place maybe? Or yours. Doesn't matter."

"Next weekend is perfect." He smiled, "Any time works for us."

"Dad. I have swimming Saturday mornings remember?" Will interrupted.

"Right- yes. Not Saturday morning. How about after lunch next Saturday? Does that work for everyone?" Reid asked. The kids both nodded, so I agreed. Even if we were just hanging out for the kids, I could still enjoy the view. I sure as hell was enjoying it now.