𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚏𝚒𝚏𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗

Depuis le début

As if on cue my phone buzzed loudly, illuminating my hoodie pocket.

"No I haven't."

"Kate, I've seen them.  'Unknown Number' texted you last time we were hanging out," He persisted.

Okay so maybe I was getting texts but it wasn't from Stark.  They were from Natasha.  She found my number (somehow) and now she's been mentoring me over the phone.  It's only been going on for two weeks and I didn't want to tell Peter because I knew Happy wasn't texting him back.

"I'm sorry I didn't say anything," I admitted, "It's just Natasha, though.  Not Mr Stark or Happy.  She's kind of my mentor."

Peter glanced up at me and bit at the skin on his lips.

"I get it...I just kind of hoped Mr Stark would be mine." He left the closet silently, shooting me an unenthusiastic half-smile.

I pursed my lips in frustration and followed him out but he was already lost in the growing crowd of students.

"Damn it," I muttered under my breath and started pushing through people.

Patrol was almost as bad.  Peter had me stay outside while he stopped a bank robbery because he claimed it 'wasn't safe'. 

So, that evening I did what I'd learned to do when I had a problem.  I texted Nat.

'Hey, Nat, I have a problem'

I sent. 

'What's up, kid?'

'Peter isn't talking to me'

'Do you know why?'

I hesitated.

'I think he might be upset because Stark hasn't messaged him since Berlin'

'Talk to him'

'He won't talk to me'

'That's why I said talk to him, Kate.  Peter is a socially awkward nerd there is no way in hell he's going to confront you first.'

'You have a point'

'I know, now go find him and talk it out or I'm doing it myself'

'Could you?'

'Go!'

I sighed and shut off my phone, staring momentarily at the opposite wall. Peter would probably be at home—it's not like he had any plans—so I walked over to the apartment next door.

May answered with a smile and welcomed me in. She said Peter was in his room.

Why I was so nervous, I didn't know. I just didn't want him to be mad at me.

The door was already slightly ajar so I pushed it open and spotted Peter slouched against the wall staring intently at his phone.

"Hey," I broke the silence and gave a small wave.

"Hi, Kate!" He readjusted his position and stretched a smile across his face.

"I'm really sorry about Stark and everything," I sat down next to him on the bed and his smile faltered, "Are you mad at me?"

"No!" He blurted, "No!  Why would I- why would I be mad at you?"

"I don't know you just seemed off today, that's all," I said.

Peter's face morphed into a sad smile and he unexpectedly hugged me.

"It's not you, I'm just a bit upset that Happy or Mr Stark hasn't answered my texts yet.  I guess I'm impatient," He said, leaning his head on mine.  I blushed and searched for his hand with mine, lacing our fingers together.

"You do not know how glad I am to hear that," I said with a chuckle, "You're kind of my best friend, Parker."

"Aw thanks," He smiled, "You're kind of mine, too."

I gasped, "I'm ahead of Ned?"

"Just barely, I think being a superhero team kind of helps with bonding or something," He laughed and we pulled apart.  Cold bit at my skin where moments before his was resting.  I felt awfully empty without my best friend in my arms.

"So we're cool?" I asked, raising my hand for him to shake.

"Yeah, we're cool," We shook.  Relief flooded my systems.  I hadn't lost him.

Thank God.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••