𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚎

𝚖𝚊𝚢𝚋𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚎𝚗'𝚝 𝚜𝚘 𝚜𝚞𝚌𝚔𝚢
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Getting back to school was rough.  I was pitied for my injury which was even worse than being bullied for it.  Teachers gave me less homework, people talked to me more—even Flash laid off insulting me.

To be fair, I had a hard time focusing on class.  My head was always buzzing.  The usual silence seemed fifty times louder than it had been before.  Outside, the rain would drip and tree branches would bang obnoxiously against the window.  The sounds drove me up the wall, not literally thankfully.

I ate lunch with Peter and Ned—something Ned found very interesting—and talked with Peter quietly between classes.  He said you get used to the feeling that your brain was vibrating but I wasn't so sure at that point.  It was all so sharp and defined.

After school we continued with our search for costumes.  Peter was more worried about me screwing up in public and accidentally crushing a hand railing than having another robbery incident.  It was like he was a babysitter.

We even started putting together a suit for me.  It was almost identical to Peter's but we used my plain golden hoodie in place of his red one and I wore black spandex underneath.  My mask was the same golden colour with similar designs to Peter's.  Together, we designed the tacky goggles that I now realized helped with focusing.  I ironed on the same spider symbol and the home-made suit was finished.

We were the perfect team despite our rocky relationship. I was all over YouTube. There were tons of theories as to where Arachnid came from, none of which were correct, of course.

Everything was going smoothly until one afternoon when things just got more complicated.

I arrived home from school and found a fancy vehicle parked outside. Much too fancy to belong to any of the residents.

I hurried up the stairs and found the Parker's door slightly ajar. Curiously, I pushed it open.

"Hey, Parker?  Th-" I cut myself off when I saw who was sitting on Peter's couch, "Um, did I interrupt something?"

"No, actually this is perfect, Miss Lang," Tony Stark said, "I'd like to speak with you about an internship as well. I've already explained everything to Peter here and I was hoping he'd explain to you."

I gaped at him, "Um, I-Wow."

"I know, wow. May I speak to you two in private?" Stark got to his feet and Peter nodded stiffly, leading him to his small bedroom at the end of the hall. I followed, still very confused.

"Okay," Peter started as he shut his door, "I don't know about Kate but I definitely didn't apply for your gr-"

"Nuh uh, me first," Stark cut in, "quick question of the rhetorical variety...that's you?"

He was holding out what seemed to be a phone with a holographic image of a video playing above it. I saw myself—well Arachnid, and Peter as Spider-Man.

"Um no- I-uh-"

"Yeah," Stark flipped the holographic image so it showed a new one, "Look at you go, woah!  Nice catch!  3000 pounds, 40 miles an hour.  That's not easy.  You got mad skills."