𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚎𝚕𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗

𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎'𝚜 𝚝𝚘𝚘 𝚖𝚞𝚌𝚑 𝚝𝚘 𝚜𝚞𝚖𝚖𝚊𝚛𝚒𝚣𝚎 𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Peter continued filming all the way to the airport. I was jittery, bouncing my leg the entire ride.

Peter would make the occasional joke and I would laugh overly loud and stare nervously out the window.

What if I screwed up? I wouldn't put it past myself to send me flying straight into a wall.

Peter didn't seem to notice my panic until he turned the camera my way. His smile momentarily faltered then he put a hand on my bouncing knee and leaned close to me.

"I think Kate's nervous," He said, flipping the camera around so it recorded both of our faces. I laughed, genuinely laughed, and rolled my eyes jokingly.

"Yeah, no shit, we're about to meet the Avengers."

And just like that, the jitters were gone. I wasn't sure what it was about that very obvious statement—or the boy it came from—that calmed me right down but I wasn't complaining. Couldn't have me having a nervous breakdown be the Avenger's first impression of me.

He laughed and turned the camera back to the window, watching the city fly away as we drove past.  The sun glinted off his brown curls, lighting up his face as though he had summer highlights.  I smiled softly until he turned my way and locked eyes with me.

I flinched away, silently cursing myself and resting my head against the window. My face flushed red and my chest clenched up in embarrassment. I wasn't met with the expected silence, though. Peter's laugh chimed through the car again and I shifted my head to look at him.

"Why is your face red?" He asked.

I felt as though I would sweat through my suit.

"It's um, it's really hot in here," I managed. Yeah, that's why I felt so strangled and warm. The AC hadn't been on all ride.

"I agree, kid," Happy said from the other side of the glass. Cool air blew out from the vents throughout the car and my flushed face slowly faded back into it's usual colour. I exhaled in relief as my body cooled down. That was definitely the problem. I was just overheating.

The rest of the car ride consisted of agonizing silence on my part and shouts of excitement on Peter's. It felt as though we'd been in that car for hours but when we arrived, Happy said it'd only been a fifteen minute drive.

I exhaled shakily as we approached the airport. I could already hear faint commotion from inside.

My hands were getting clammy so I wiped them hastily on the side of my thighs before following Peter in. Happy stayed out by the car.

"This is crazy," He breathed, pulling his mask over his head.  I stayed silent and pressed my own mask onto my face.

My heart was beating insanely fast and I wasn't sure why.  I was never this nervous and I never felt so pressured to do well.  Then again, the Avengers were the experts, the celebrities, the insanely talented people.  I was just Kate from Florida who happened to be injected with radioactive spider blood.