35. Flourish & Blotts

Start from the beginning

"I'm not opening that." she said dismissively.

"It's the fourth time he's written to you in a week and a half, I get the feeling that he won't stop until you reply."

"I have nothing to say to him."

"At the very least tell him you need space. He doesn't need to keep wasting his time."

Eloise huffed and picked herself up off the floor, deciding that she didn't need to be under her friend's watchful (and somewhat judgmental) eye as she penned her response.

After snatching the envelope from Fleur's hand, she made her way up the stairs and into her bedroom, making sure to close the door behind her before taking a seat her desk.

The blue leather bound journal George had gifted her last Christmas sat in the middle of the antique wooden desk. It had been untouched for weeks, yet for some reason she had decided to no put it away. Part of it was because she had plenty of memories written within those pages that didn't want to lock away, but also because she simply didn't want to touch the thing.

As endearing as the sentiment was for George to charm the journal to show her mood every time she picked it up, it became increasingly frustrating to constantly be reminded of her heartbreak and frustrations. It almost felt like a sick game or a cruel joke, as if he were taunting her from afar even though she knew in reality that wasn't his intention.

But now, as a thin layer of dust accumulated on top of the journal she hadn't dared open in nearly a month, she couldn't help but feel like it was wasting space on her desk. Writing her feelings in that book felt almost like she was confessing her deepest secrets and most personal feelings to George. Even though she knew the thought was silly, she simply didn't want to imagine him as her confidant anymore.

Her fingers grazed the leather, just for for a split second, to push the journal aside and her initials on the spine immediately changed to a deep ruby shade so dark it almost looked black, but at the right angle the wine color was quite clear. It was a color she had become all too familiar with, one she recognized as 'heartbreak'.

Why George thought his silly little charm needed to include that emotion was beyond her, but it certainly wasn't helping his case at the moment.

Letting out a frustrated sigh, Eloise finally tore open the envelope and pulled out the parchment. Surprisingly, it was much shorter than she was expecting, but maybe the other letters she had tossed out were longer. She'd never know for sure.

'Elle,

I still miss you and I'm still sorry. I know you're probably sick of hearing that, but it's the truth. I'm looking forward to seeing you at Bill's birthday in a few weeks. Of course I'd love to see you before then, you know where to find me.

Yours,
George'

A grimace formed on Eloise's face. The sugary sweet words on the page contrasted greatly with the way he'd treated her on that horrible night when he had all but locked the door on their relationship forever.

Maybe he'd finally come to his senses. But Eloise refused to allow herself to be optimistic about the situation anymore. It only lead to disappointment.

Instead, she grabbed a scrap piece of parchment from her desk drawer and dipped her quill into the navy blue ink she always used.