𝐬𝐢𝐱

┍━━━━━━ ★ ━━━━━━┑

┍━━━━━━ ★ ━━━━━━┑

CHAPTER SIX
the missing heartrender

┕━━━━━━ ★ ━━━━━━┙

"I didn't hire you to simply get us across the Fold," Kaz told Arken from his seat beside Celestine in the carriage they hired when they got to Novokribirsk, "You're with us because you smuggle Grisha out of the Little Palace, and that's the location of our target."

"Sun Summoner." Inej voiced from the left of Arken.

"Alleged." Kaz muttered and Celestine sighed heavily, resting her head against the wall of the carriage.

Jesper nudged her foot with a smirk and the Soulbearer rolled her eyes, glaring at him— at one point, Celestine considered opening the doors and throwing herself out the carriage.

"They wouldn't keep a fraud in the most secure location in all of Ravka." Inej stated but Kaz paid no mind, not bothering to retaliate.

"You said you have a contact who can get us inside," Celestine spoke up, raising an eyebrow at the Conductor, "A Heartrender."

He gave a nod as the Soulbearer straightened her back, accidentally nudging Kaz with her shoulder, murmuring a quiet apology before questioning Arken, "How do I know we can trust her?"

Celestine made it her job to protect the trio that consisted of the Sharpshooter, Wraith and Dirtyhands— they were her Crows, just as much as she was their Sparrow.

"Nina grew up there." He answered.

"Most Grisha grew up in the Little Palace."

"You didn't." Arken stated flatly, and Jesper and Inej's eyes widen the slightest in surprise.

Celestine raised an eyebrow at the accusation, "I beg your pardon?"

"You didn't." He repeated calmly, hands folded on his lap, looking directly at the brunette.

Kaz doesn't move, nor does he give a reaction to what's been said, knowing that Celestine can handle herself, and if it gets out of hand, he'll know when to step in.

For now, he kept his gaze on Arken, watching him carefully for any tells he may be able to pick up on.

"Of course I didn't, I'm not Grisha." The lie rolled smoothly off the tip of her tongue.