𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

┍━━━━━━ ★ ━━━━━━┑

┍━━━━━━ ★ ━━━━━━┑

CHAPTER FIVE
the conductor

┕━━━━━━ ★ ━━━━━━┙

Celestine tried to sleep, she really did, but the consistent throbbing in her cheek really made it harder than it had to be.

She had been asleep for all of fifteen, possibly twenty, minutes before waking up again, but with a blanket draped over her figure and a note left on the bedside table.

Gone to the Emerald Palace
with Jesper. Shouldn't be long.

— K. B

Celestine shot up from her laid position, throwing off the blanket and pushing herself off of the bed, stumbling forwards.

Kaz going into a rival's den— Pekka Rollins' den without Celestine didn't sit right with her, especially after he just waltzed into Kaz's office like he owned the place with the Soulbearer slung over one of his men's shoulders.

So, despite the pain in her cheek and a pounding headache, the Soulbearer searched for the spare key to unlock the door, which she found at Kaz's desk, before she shrugged on her coat and made her way down into the Club, bumping into someone on her way, "Oh—"

Roman grabbed her forearms, eyebrows furrowed in concern, "Celestine? Kaz told me what happened, you should be resting—"

She waved him off, pulling her arms away from his grasp and gripping his coat sleeve, "I'll be fine, but Kaz and Jesper are in Dime Lion territory."

Roman eyes widen as they leave through the door of the Crow Club, bounding through the streets of Ketterdam, "Wha— why would they be there, especially just after what happened?"

Celestine shrugged, "I don't know, but I don't like the sound of it— they're at the Emerald Palace, Kaz left me a note, though he never said why."

"So we're just going to march our way into rival territory without any context as to why?" Roman questioned.

Celestine blinked, "Yes, to make sure those two don't kill themselves, or worse— each other."

Roman doesn't say anything more, he just followed the Soulbearer as she weaved through clusters of people until she caught a glimspe of a familiar, tall Zemini man standing right outside of the Emerald Palace.