Prologue

CONTENT/TRIGGER WARNING: Contains demons slayer levels of violence (Heavy), some blood, death and trauma. 

DO NOT TAKE MY WORKS OR PLAGARISE THEM I WILL COME AFTER YOU. Please let me know if you see it! I will write you a story (within my boudaries ) if you do so. I do NOT allow reposts or rewrites (word for word or sentence for sentence), or copies to be made. 

EDIT(1/3/23)- To everyone whose made fun of the one sentence in this chapter where the reader stutters- fuck off. I don't find you at all quirky or funny or amusing. I stutter a lot when I'm nervous and so I tried to incorporate it in one sentence. It really hurts to see people making fun of it. I took it out since it seems to bother you guys. I'm sorry it was so annoying.  And I didn't delete your comments, I left them in the chapter, so if any new readers read those comments thats why.

On another note, obviously the reader is OVER
18. Rengoku is 20. Now please leave me alone. 

PS: Ive never watched MHA- I have no idea who you guys are referencing in the comments. Also, the overtly sexual comments people leave make me really uncomfortable. This story has nothing to do with sex or smut, so I see no reason for it anyways.

The demon's jaw is dripping crimson with the blood of your other family members. His face is taking you in greedily. "Mom!" you cry, shaking the heavy, hollow body that used to be your mom. She's still warm, but there is nothing inside her. You can tell from the empty eyes.

"How could you?" You scream through the tears pouring down your face at the demon who only laughs mirthlessly. He bends down over your dead brother, and you look around for something to throw at him, anything. Grasping onto a pot, you throw it and it hits his head with a dull clunk. He glances over at you again, now irritated. He stands up, making his way towards you. You try to move quickly, but your body is paralyzed in fear and you can only scramble as far back as you can, pulling your mothers lifeless body over you like a shield.

"Get away from her." You hear someone say, their voice grounded and confident. The demon jumps around in surprise, looks between the two of you, and hisses under his breath. "Shit! He's a hashira."

He jumps in the air, bounces off of the wall, and runs away, his speed inhuman. Hes gone in an instant. The person makes their way towards you.
"Hello." He says. "Im Rengoku Kyojuro. The flame pillar." Flame Pillar? What was that, you wondered. He knelt down to the ground.

"Are you injured?" Rengoku asks, and you shake your head jerkily. "My family. Are they going to be okay?" You whisper shakily, even though in the back of your head you already know the answer.

Rengoku humors you, going around the now all too silent room, checking the pulses of the other people. "I'm sorry" He says softly. "None of the others made it." You let out a wail that rips through your body. Gone. My family is all gone.

"Why did I have to live?" You cry, your tears stinging and mixing with the repulsive scent of blood. "I don't- I couldn't save them, and now they're dead, they're dead and I-" Rengoku wraps his arms around you and his warmth makes something inside of you break.

He simply holds you as you break down in his arms, and eventually, you start to feel numb. "Its time to start burying them before they attract the attention of wild animals," He says gently. "Would you like me to do this for you?"

You nod quietly, and he leaves, his absence making the cold feel icy. He covers your younger brother with a white cloth. He looks so small and lonely in death, and when Rengoku picks him up, his tiny hand drops out, as if waiting for someone to hold it.

Can you please hold my hand, big sister? Im scared.

You let out another scream, this one loud in its silence, rocking back and forth and back and forth with your head between your legs. Im sorry, little brother. Sorry I couldn't protect you. Sorry I couldn't save you. You deserved the world. Im sorry, im sorry, im sorry.

A warmth begins spreading through your lower back as you realize Rengoku is trying to comfort you again, rubbing small circles on your back. "Listen here. I know its hard to see your family like this, but you must keep it together. You must be strong for them. They are counting on you to keep going."

You sniffle once. Hes right. Keep it together. Just keep it together for now, and you can break down later. Your family deserves a proper burial.

You help him finish burying your family one by one. The scent of blood lingers, metallic and sickening, and you bend over to vomit, but nothing comes out.

After you catch your breath, you glance over at the man. "Why did that demon run from you?" You ask him.

"I am a demon slayer." He replies. " A hashira, to be specific. We are the top ranked swordspeople in the country. He likely recognized me and decided that he couldn't defeat me, so fleeing was the only option."

He could defeat demons. He knew how.

"Teach me. Please." You bow low. You must avenge your family. You must avenge what was unfairly taken. Whos lives had been ripped to a lonely, painful end.

"I-"

"Please!" You cry. "I cant- I have to learn how to fight and kill these demons."

Rengoku looks at you, and finally he nods.

*

"Alright then, let's get started."