Chapter 32

Danielle's POV

Saturday morning rolls around and I wake up to my eyes feeling super puffy. The bakery is closed this weekend because I just don't want to deal with it. I spent last night crying myself to sleep, not only over Lizzy stealing from me but also Derek's radio silence. I feel like I've lost control of my emotions and it really sucks.

The first thing I do is hop into the shower. I'm more of a night showerer but it feels good to be surrounded by hot water as it makes me feel like I'm washing the slate clean.

After my shower, I head downstairs to make myself a cup of coffee. I pop my favorite Dunkin' Donuts flavor into my Keurig before grabbing a leftover muffin from earlier in the week.

As I sip my coffee, I think about Derek and what my next move is going to be. While I really want him back and really want to know that he's okay, I also realize that I respect myself too much to keep begging for his attention. It's a mental challenge but I finally convince myself that I'm going to stop texting him. While I did mess up, I don't deserve this energy.

I spend the rest of my morning cleaning up around the house. I'm able to clean the kitchen, living room and my room from top to bottom and by the time I'm done, everything is sparkling clean. The only room I have left is Derek's.

I debate going in there but finally decide to. Even though he's probably not coming back, I still want to make sure the space is clean.

I open the door to his room and start by stripping the bed. I take everything down stairs to the laundry room before heading back up. Inside the closet, there's a small amount of dirty laundry that I also take downstairs. I don't know why but I feel the need to wash everything.

Finally I get started on vacuuming the bedroom floor. As I'm passing the vacuum under the bed, it hits something. I get on my hands and knees and pull out a small box. When I open the box, I find $1,200 in cash. I place the money back in the box then stand up and put the box on the dresser.

I promised myself I wasn't going to text Derek but something tells me he's going to need this money.

I found $1,200 under your bed. Let me know if you want it. If I don't hear from you by Friday, I'm going to donate it along with the rest of your stuff.

The text is a bit aggressive but I'm ready to move on. I need to clean out this room and start over.

I'll be by later today to pick it up.

Derek's text comes almost immediately and I have to do a double take to make sure it's him.

Well crap.

Suddenly I'm hustling to make sure everything is in order. I start by throwing some fresh bedding down and making sure it's perfect. Next I take his clothes out of the dryer and fold them in a neat pile on his bed.

I place his box on the bed too. Everything is ready for him to go.

Or to stay.

The last thing I have to get ready is myself. I head to my closet and switch out my pajamas for a pair of black leggings and a long sleeve, grey crop top. It's simple but cute. Plus it shows the smallest amount of skin when I move.

I spritz a bit of perfume on before heading downstairs.

Derek's POV

As soon as I hit send on my text to Danielle, a wave of regret washes over me. It was a very impulsive response. I'm actually kind of nervous to see her. It's been over a week.

I'm in the shelter bathroom and decide to get cleaned up. It's been awhile since I last shaved and my beard is coming in strong. I shave my face so that I'm back to being clean shaven. My hair is also starting to grow but I like the look. It's still short but I trim off about half an inch then comb it to the side with a bit of water.