Chapter 16

Derek's POV

Danielle and I step off the subway car and into the station at 9th St. and Caldo St. Even on a Sunday afternoon, the subway cars are packed.

We make our way up the stairs and onto the street. As the sun shines down on us, I can't help but smile a little. It feels good to be outside.

"J. Crew is this way," Danielle says, grabbing my hand. She tugs me a little and we head down 9th towards all the shops.

As we approach J. Crew, I can tell it's going to be expensive. There are well dressed mannequins in the window and absolutely zero clutter in the store.

We walk in the door and are immediately greeted by a woman folding clothes.

"Welcome in," she says. I nod in her direction and Danielle says hello. Danielle is still holding my hand and pulls me towards the men's section.

"Let's start with pants," she says. "How do you feel about these?"

She holds up a pair of black slacks and I laugh.

"That's definitely not my style Dani."

"Dani?" she questions.

"Isn't that your nickname?"

"Yeah," Danielle says. "But you almost never call me that. I like the way you say it."

I can't help but blush a little bit and turn away from Dani. "But back to the pants," I say, walking up to a different display. "I was thinking something more casual." I hold up a pit of dark wash, straight leg jeans. "What do you think of these?"

"I think those would look good on you! You have to try them on."

I make a face. "I hate trying things on. I know my size. These will fit."

Danielle makes a face too, hers pouty and cuter than mine. "Please?"

I jokingly roll my eyes. "Literally only for you."

"Yay!" Danielle says. She grabs the jeans from me. "I'll hold your stuff."

I look through some more jeans and pick out another two pairs. Once we're done in the jeans, I head to the dress shirts and look through the dozen or so colors they have.

"I think this blue would look nice with your eyes," Danielle says. She's holding up a blue polo shirt.

"That is also not my style." I chuckle a little then head to some short, sleeve button down shirts. They're kind of casual but also a bit dressy. "I think something like this would work."

"Ohhh, I agree," Danielle says. "You definitely have to get it in at least blue. I like the green one too."

"I was thinking the green as well." I pick up two of the shirts and Danielle takes them from me.

"You're sure you're going to be able to carry all that?" I look at her. She's holding three pairs of jeans and two shirts.

"I'm fine," she says.

I laugh. "No you're not." I take the jeans from her.

"Thanks," she says, sighing a bit of relief. I jokingly shake my head at her.

"Should we get some accessories as well?" Danielle asks.

"I'm definitely not an accessory kind of guy Dani."

"Okay," she says. "I'll let you have that one cause even I knew that was a stretch."

"I think we can head to the dressing rooms now," I say.