In the darkness of the room and the haziness of my own sleep-addled mind, I saw the white wolf staring down at me with narrowed red eyes.

I woke up the next day to a beautiful morning, but I didn't feel like enjoying it.

I wasn't sure how long I spent staring up at the white ceiling, a glow cast over it by the rays of light that peaked over the tops of the white curtains covering the windows. The moment I heard movement from the room next door I rose in search of my luggage.

A quick change of clothes later and I was stepping out the motel room door at the same time the brothers stepped out of their room. Sam's face was... puzzling. Cold and exhausted. Had he slept at all?

Dean hummed a popular tune but promptly stopped the moment he saw me. He frowned in curiosity, taking in my attire. I didn't often wear shorts on a case.

"Breakfast?" he questioned. I shook my head in denial.

"Jog. Shoot me a text when you're done, I'll meet you back here. Or wherever," I added on as I brushed my hair aside, gathering it as best as I could. The brothers watched as I took off, long strides propelling me away from the motel still stuck firmly in the 80s.

Truthfully, I didn't run for very long. As soon as I found myself deep enough in the woods I slowed to a walk, stepping carefully over fallen limbs. My eyes scanned the ground closely for signs of movement, fearing the darting of an aggressive snake or some other creature. Instead, all that caught my attention was a suddenly materialized white paw, the size of a dinner plate, that failed to leave tracks beside me.

"If you say 'I told you so,' I'll rip your fucking tongue out," I hissed into the warm forest, my words swallowed by the suffocating darkness that surrounded him. It no longer enveloped me as its intense warmth and lack of oxygen once had. Instead, it chose to roughly thrust him into my lap.

I would not dare, the wolf answered with a hint of amusement. He towered over me, red eyes trained forward, completely ignoring the lush swamp that seemed to part for him as if it could sense his presence. Nor will I make any recommendation.

"That's a first."

It will do you no good. How you decide to go about this problem is on you. The wolf snorted, his ears twisting back. You have proved difficult to persuade.

"What can I say? I'm a real peach," I snapped, kicking out at a log. My toes stung for a second but the pain quickly subsided, replaced by hunger. It was always hunger. "It's like being a teenager again. Volatile, uncontrollable. I haven't felt like this since..."

Since you were first exposed to humans?

"I'd been exposed to humans before!" I snarled, burying my hands in the pockets of my shorts. "I guess... not as many as in high school."

You need to hunt.

"What happened to no recommendations?"

A fact is not a recommendation, the wolf argued, his tone always level. We both know this is no longer about what your pack thinks of you. Some will always think badly, no matter what you do to convince them otherwise.

I scoffed and balled my hands into fists, knuckles white with tension and anger. "You know nothing about my situation-"

This is about fear, the wolf snapped, bearing fangs at me for speaking out of turn. I shrunk back, out of habit or instinct – I wasn't sure which. You fear what you can do. After what you saw the tervuren do, how he abused his strength. You fear you may do the same.