Piano Lessons

Soft piano music floated out of the living room and whispered comfortingly around the rest of the house. Alex paused at the top of the stairs, bare feet icy against polished wood. An empty glass was gripped in his hand, the dregs of another long-gone coffee swirling in the bottom. 

Through the archway leading from the kitchen, he could just spot the corner of the instrument that he'd bought for his boyfriend months ago, when they'd first moved into their house together. A pale, slender hand was visible, tapping away at the keys seamlessly, music rising and falling in beautiful, whirling crescendos and waves. 

Curious, Alex's foot hit the second step; then he slipped and thumped down to the third. His grip on the glass tightened as his other hand made a wild grab for the banisters and he caught himself against them. Henry botched a note, and then the music stopped completely and in the ensuing silence Henry's anxious footsteps could be heard, racing over to the stairs. 

He let out a soft laugh when he saw Alex there, clinging on for dear life.

"Couldn't sleep, love?" He asked quietly, only a hint of amusement creeping into his voice.

"Yeah. You?" Henry shook his head, gesturing back at the piano.

"I didn't want to wake you, but...I needed to clear my mind."

"Right." Tossing the empty glass to Henry, Alex pieced together the last of his pride and descended the rest of the steps without tripping over again.

They sat together at the piano, the both of them barely squeezing onto the stool. Henry's warm arms wrapped around Alex's shoulder, as he nestled his head into the Prince's neck.

"Teach me how to play," he whispered into Henry's ear.

"Alright. This is 'C'." A slender hand circled Alex's wrist, guiding his own to the ivory keys. They were smooth and cool beneath his touch, and when he played it, the sound echoed clumsily in the still room.

"Good." Henry turned his head to smile at his boyfriend.

"You're just saying that to save my pride." Alex scoffed.

"Okay, so maybe I am."

"Hey! That doesn't mean you have to confirm it."

"Alright, alright." Alex leaned back from the instrument again, steepling his hands in front of him.

"Okay, so I suck at this. Play something for me."

"You don't suck- but fine."

Alex drifted away to stand at the end of the piano, watching as moonlight tangled in Henry's hair and his face took on an intently focused look. Then his hands came down on the keys. Again and again, and before long, Alex picked up the tune- Your Song, by Elton John. A small 'oh' escaped his mouth, and he smiled softly, sadly.

"Our Song," he whispered into the ending notes of the music, "Yours, and mine. Ours. Forever."

A/N- sorry I know I haven't updated this for a while and it kind of sucks but still.