Part 7

A few weeks passed.

Alyssa sat on the cool grass, watching Lewis in wolf form teaching some of the younger pack members how to fight.

"Watch out for each other." His voice resounded her mind. "You can't be so focused on the enemy that you lose track of what's behind you."

Having never spent any time prior to this visit around other werewolves, she was interested to find that although she did understand some of wolf language – a combination of scents, sounds and body language – the majority of the time werewolves simply spoke through mental communication.

Lewis batted one of the young wolves aside, snapping at another's flank and using his weight to push a third to the ground, baring his teeth. The fallen wolf whimpered slightly, more with frustration than pain.

"Alpha, I thought we had to focus all of our attention on the attack, and not stop until the enemy was dead?" The youngest of the three, a male wolf named Teddy, finally spoke up, his tail between his legs. "How are we supposed to do that AND watch our backs?"

"Who told you that?" Lewis seemed shocked. "You are nothing without your pack! Only by working together and looking out for each other will you be at your strongest."

"It was Uncle Ben...mmph" Teddy's voice was muffled as the other two wolves tackled him.

"Sorry Alpha, he's a little dumb." Teddy's sister Lara apologized, grinding her brother's muzzle into the dirt with a paw. "Of course we aren't going to follow what the traitor Nightfang taught us."

"But LARA..."

"SHUT UP and let me get us out of this, idiot!"

Lewis stared at them for a few minutes, and then laughed silently in our heads. "It's okay. I know he was in charge of teaching fighting for years. It's a different strategy, but give my idea a shot before you dismiss it, okay?"

"YES ALPHA!" The three younger wolves shouted in unison.

"..." Alyssa studied Lewis with a thoughtful expression. He was kind enough to the pups, even when they challenged him and brought up his brother's name. He didn't lash out, just calmly guiding them forward. If she didn't know better, she would think the mention of his brother didn't bother him at all.

But she could feel it.

Behind his kind words, there was a deep agony. Fear, hurt, betrayal. He resented that his brother left the pack, that he split the pack with his leaving. He regretted that he had let his brother teach the pups... that he taught the pups to be killers rather than to defend and protect the pack. Feared being compared to his brother at every turn.

But mostly... he blamed himself. Hated that he wasn't a strong enough Alpha to force the pack to stay together. He wished desperately that he could be a better leader... more like his father.

Alyssa rubbed her chest idly, feeling a pain in her heart that wasn't physical but still wishing to ease it. She could sense his self-doubt, his feelings of helplessness, but was unsure what to do with the knowledge.

Over the last few weeks, they had spent a lot of time together. She had come to recognize that he was as kind as he first seemed, very different than what her book research had led her to expect. He was strong... she could see that in every move her made, especially in his wolf form... but he didn't seem to place his importance on that strength.