Part 4

Lewis was unsure how to answer his mate. Panicking, he said the first thing he thought of.

"Actually I was going to go buy milk."

She raised an eyebrow. "In the bookstore?"

"Yes! I mean, no!" He covered in his face. "I was on my way to the supermarket, when my wolf... sensed you."

She tilted her head, seeming more interested. "Your wolf? What's he like?"

TELL HER I AM VERY STRONG!

"Umm... he's strong..."

TELL HER I CAN MAKE HER FAT!!

No!

How else will she know I can provide food for her and our children?!

No. I'm not saying we'll make her fat!

ITS IMPORTANT! TELL HER HOW FAT WE CAN MAKE HER!

"Are you okay?"

"WE'LL MAKE YOU REALLY FAT!" Lewis blurted out... and then stared at the ground in embarrassed horror.

"..." There was a long silence.

"My wolf says that's very attractive." She shook her head. "She wants you to know that we have several pounds of hamburger in our freezer and that we are happy to contribute food to you and your family."

She's smart and stores plenty of meat in her freezer! Please convince her to stay as our mate!

"So would you like to come visit our pack? He asked, wincing as she pulled what appeared to be a miniature Taser out of thin air. "Just visiting! No mating!" He relaxed as she hid the Taser away again "...Where were you even keeping that?"

"Secret pocket in the sleeve.... It's not my only one, so don't think I've given you any advantage."

Lewis tried to think of something that would appeal to her. "I know you don't have a pack... it would be a chance to get to know others like you... "

"... I would be able to refine my research..." She muttered, staring down at her notebook. "Plus my wolf really wants to..."

SHE'S GOING TO SAY YES!

Shush!

"Sure. Why not?" She shrugged, holding out her hand. "I guess we should officially meet if we're going back to your pack together. I'm Alyssa."

Alyssa! Her name is pretty!

"Nice to meet you Alyssa." Lewis smiled brightly. "I'm Lewis." He shook her hand, trying to stay calm at the shocking feeling of touching her. It was almost painful, as if every cell in his body were screaming at him that he's met his soulmate. Overwhelmed, confused, he glanced over at his mate, only to see her calm expression.

Does she not feel this? Are we just delusional?

She's our mate! Of course she feels it!

She's not acting like it. Maybe we're wrong? Lewis felt a stabbing pain in his chest at the thought. She was his mate. He had waited his whole life to meet her. He belonged to her.

What if she doesn't want us?

... His wolf didn't have an answer to that.

Maybe she can sense our weakness... our failure.

No... we're not weak! We're alpha of a strong pack!