If he truly planned on seeing this lie through without getting caught, realistically his best move would be to get rid of me in one way or another.

He wouldn't kill me... that much I could say for a fact.

I could only imagine he'd either send me to a breeder or to another shop to be re-sold.

A painful knot tied in my stomach at the thought, as well as a sadness that I wasn't expecting.

I don't think I liked this plan...

My arms quickly folded themselves, forcing any kind of distress from my thoughts off of my face the second I heard the closet door handle turn.

The light coming in caused my eyes to squint, but I looked up at the vampire opening the door, looking nearly as panicked as I felt.

I blinked at him, eyes half-lidded and brows raised. The look he's learned meant to start explaining.

I didn't know whether to look disappointed or not since I still hadn't figured out how I felt about all of this yet.

The fact was that no matter how much say he let me have in these kinds of things, He was still in charge.

And I didn't want to be worrying about anything until I knew what he was thinking.

He read the look on my face, sucking in his bottom lip.

"I panicked," he squeaked out.

"Uh yeah, you think?!" I retorted, stepping past him to get out of the closet.

He turned to follow me as I kept my back to him.

"That was a pretty substantial claim to make," I added in accusation, squeezing my upper arms, just narrowly avoiding the bruises there.

I guess I had decided to be annoyed by this situation.

Or maybe it was just my default for now.

"I know. It was rash, a-and reckless but It was the only thing I could think of in the moment to get her to leave you alone."

My breath caught in my throat after hearing his intention.

That he made that choice for my benefit.

Don't trust it. Don't. Trust. It.

"Are you going to get another pet then?" I questioned a little too harshly, wanting to know that before anything else.

I needed to know if my worries were going to come true.

"No," his answer came surprisingly quick, enough to make me turn to face him again with wide eyes.

His eyes pointed down, a crease between his brows in hard, agitated thought.

He didn't have all of this figured out either, yet I still felt the tension I was holding in my shoulders relax from his previous answer.

Without another pet... without something that they'd be 'splitting', Layla wouldn't have much of a reason so stop by.

He knew this. Whether he wanted to believe it or not, he knew it.

Although... it still depended on how much Layla wanted to keep him under her control.

If she really wanted to keep him where he is, without having something that they split, I'm sure she'll find a way.

I thought for a moment, trying to decide if that concern even justified, or was I just worried.

Worried that after the first, real sign that he might be slipping away from her grasp... That he's willing to terminate the main thing that brought her here...

That after that, she'd still somehow reign him back in, and he'd be right where he started.

More than anything, I just wanted him to realize what she'd been doing to him, and put an end to it himself.

"I'll figure it out," He spoke quietly, probably just to himself, "I can... I'll just..."

His words died into an uncertain sigh, his hands rubbing down his face.

He met my eye, the look he now held being familiar.

The same exhausted and burdened look he held a couple days prior before rendering himself an anxious mess who couldn't get out of bed, nor realize that he was hungry.

There was guilt and despondency, all with a hopelessness that differed from the one I usually felt.

Every time he makes a decision that most would consider to be a good one he gets reduced down to this.

I glanced over at the window.

Where not even five minutes ago the mood was light and were exchanging playful banter.

And now this.

My hands dropped to my sides while I looked at him again, his eyes showing the same thought process as before, his clawed hand rubbing the side of his jaw as if he was rubbing something off.

Regardless if I believed it or not, I played through his prior words again.

Given the situation, for the first time, I let them register as genuine.

For once. 

For now.

Just for now.

Just so his efforts don't come off as unappreciated.

I wanted to see him get better.

To accept and realize what she'd been putting him through.

To notice that every second she shows up, that light in his eyes vanishes without a trace.

And it turns him into this.

A cycle I've seen and lived through so many times, and each one just gets worse and worse on his end.

Taking in a deep, silent breath, I took a few steps until I was at his side.

He eyed me warily, as I did, and even more so as I set my hand on the fabric that covered his shoulder.

I just barely heard the hitch in his breath and felt his shoulder stiffen under my touch. Like he was expecting something else.

Then his eyes widen just a bit, that cautious look whenever I did something out of the ordinary showing.

"Thank you," I spoke softly.

Even if his decisions are idiotic.

Even if I didn't fully accept the reasonings he was giving me.

Even if this all ends horribly for both of us.

For the past few days, it looked like was trying. He was taking a step in the right direction and further away from Layla's control.

And being the only one fully aware of his situation, I was the only one who could cheer him on.

If that's what you could even call this small gesture.

Drawing my hand back, I spoke again, "Let me know if I can help."

He didn't give any response, just a simple nod and the sharp points on his hands slowly retracting.

I gave a nod of my own, stepping past him to go allow both of us to do some thinking before we could order breakfast.

He'll figure it out... regardless of how stupid his means of doing so were, it was what he was good at.