Original JJC

Songs of the chapter:

This is Nigeria by Falz the bahd guy
Ghetto love by Wizkid

I scowl at the stupid 'agbero' boy who I had been arguing with for close to five minutes now, he refused to give me my change which birthed the argument.

"Shey you no hear when I tell you say, 'if you no get change make you no enter!' I dey tell all una before you enter.... Shey o phor nii" he shouts, his mouth oozing out the odour of the remnant of the cannabis am sure he had this early morning.

"I didn't not hear anything" I said defiantly, feigning ignorance.

"Maa so oyinbo funmmi jor, ko gbabe bo shey sele. Carry your load o... I go join you together ni o" his words caused a ruckus among the passengers who are alighting due to the way he passed his judgment.

I huff putting my backpack on, as I held my travelling bag which contains my belongings closer, looking for a taxi which will take me directly to school, forgetting the change knowing I may never get mine.

I stare at the beautiful monument in front of the school gate. The name IVY HILL UNIVERSITY was boldly engraved on top of the school gate.

I am here, am finally in my dream school.

My mother's words kept echoing in my head.

'Ranti omo eni tii iwo shey o'
'Remember the child of who you are'

I wave down an approaching taxi , on noticing my luggage, he comes down from the car helping me with it as he puts it in the booth of the car. I let out an exhausted 'thank you'.

"Fine girl!" I turn to look at the agbero boy who had already mount the moving bus. "You no collect your change again nii"

I rolled my eyes at the stupid question before boarding the taxi, which will take me to school.

I relax in the taxi, closing my eyes to calm down from the stress I had just undergone.

My ears perks up at the news being said on the radio that was played in the car. It was the school radio station and the morning news is going on.

I groan when I realized that lectures starts in three days, am not ready for that due to failure on my part. I just paid my school fees and hostel fees and I need to get other things sorted out before resuming.

"Are you not happy?" Ask the taxi man as he stares at me from the review mirror.

"Am happy sir, am not just used to everything going so fast"

"You are a fresher, you suppose happy na"

I raised an eyebrow at his statement.

"How do you know am a fresher, sir?" I ask looking and sounding curious while the man only gave me an erring calm smile making the tribal marks more pronounced on his black cheeks.

"When we see a fresher, we know " I frown at his words.

"How?"

"We know" my nose flared at his statement but stopped myself from making a word when i realized we have got to the school car pack... So soon...

I alighted from the small car taking my backpack along, I watch the taxi man help me with my bag using the opportunity to have a good view of the surrounding.