Chapter 13 - The Mentor and the Student

Start from the beginning

7:00:00 am

The Boeing 737 makes a smooth landing at a Henderson Navy Airbase in Washington DC. Maverick and Enterprise then transfer to a helicopter that will take them to the office of the secretary of defense. The chopper was provided by the secretary of defense himself. It's a navy helicopter that has been decommissioned after the war against terrorism. Maverick knew that the person he's going to talk with always had knack for purchasing decommissioned military vehicles. And the helicopter is no exception.

The chopper slowly takes off from the naval airbase and goes directly to Washington. Specifically, the office of defense secretary. It then heads directly to the Pentagon where the office of defense secretary is located. It lands on one of the helipads on the Pentagon's rooftop. Three soldiers and a man barely 60 years old are standing a few feet away from the helipad watch the pilot land the helo. The pilot makes a smooth touchdown one of his crew members opens the door and lets Maverick and Enterprise get off the helicopter.

The two V.I.P.s are greeted by the man in a business suit. While the three soldiers salute Maverick.

????: Good morning Maverick. Miss Enterprise. I'm glad that you made it safely to Washington.

Maverick: (Salutes back at the soldiers.) Good morning too Capt. Charlie Metcalf. Or should I say Defense Secretary Metcalf.

Enterprise: Good morning too Secretary Metcalf.

Sec. Metcalf: When you called me on my phone. You said that it's urgent.

Maverick: Yes sir it is. Can we discuss this in your office?

Sec. Metcalf: Sure. Let's go to my office now.

After a few minutes of walking.

Sec. Metcalf: So Maverick. How long has it been since I last saw you?

Maverick: I think it was on graduation day sir.

Sec. Metcalf: If I remember correctly you graduated second after that guy. Who was it?

Maverick: Lt. Pearson. Last I heard from that guy he bugged out on by his wingman.

Sec. Metcalf: Well enough reminiscing. What brings you to Washington DC Maverick? And why is Enterprise with you?

Maverick: Honestly sir. I made her my personal secretary and maid at the same time. Now for my purpose of being here. I need adequate defenses for Azur Lane sir.

Sec. Metcalf: Ha ha ha! Acting like you are the commander of Azur Lane. You have got some nerve to ask me for something that only an assigned commander would do.

Maverick: Well sir you're right about that. Coz I am the newly assigned commander of Azur Lane. So I have the right to ask for adequate defenses.

Sec. Metcalf: You're kidding. Right?

Maverick: No sir. I'm not. I was personally recommended by my former C.O. You might know him considering the fact that you are his section leader.

Sec. Metcalf: Admiral Russell Johnson. Spitballs recommended you. On what basis?

Maverick: He says that a change in environment my mellow my unrelenting need for speed.

Sec. Metcalf: Just as I thought. Ever since that accident. You started to fly dangerously. You were always an obedient student. But because of that you are now considered a wild card.

Maverick: Well sir. I can't help it. I'm having difficulty moving on after Samantha's death.

Sec. Metcalf: Well you can save that for later. I want to know what type of base defenses that you need.

Maverick: Here you go sir. (Pulls out the list he made from a folder.)

Sec. Metcalf: Missile defense systems, anti-ship defenses, anti-aircraft guns and, a battalion of ground troops. A squadron composed of F-15 Eagles, three to six aircraft carriers, an armada of support and merchant ships. Plus submarines. And a battalion of vehicle maintenance unit. Maverick this is a huge request you're asking.

Maverick: If you don't approve of my request then you can kiss that godforsaken base goodbye. Funny how your predecessors had that base built with inadequacies. I guess it's really meant to be destroyed once the Sirens attack it.

Metcalf: Honestly..... I agree with you. Prior to the Siren attack in 1939. The US and Great Britain were already keen on building a man made island base in between Pearl Harbor and Midway Island. Construction began even if the Germans were already starting their invasion of Europe.

Maverick: So why did they build it without even putting up some decent defense systems?

Sec. Metcalf: That's to make it useless for the Japanese just in case they succeeded in conquering our forces at Midway.

Maverick: And because of that reason. Construction of defense systems are considered to be a waste of time. By the time that the Sirens first showed up. They turned it into an official headquarters of the ship girls.

Sec. Metcalf: Yes that is correct.

Maverick: Only you can convince the president to give in to my request sir.

Sec. Metcalf: And if I don't don't convince him?

Maverick: I might lead a rebellion and form an alliance with the Sirens.

Sec. Metcalf: Alright! I will convince him to approve your request.

Maverick: Thank you sir. It's been a pleasure seeing you again.

Sec. Metcalf: Maverick keep this meeting a secret from anybody else. Once you get out of my office. Just pretend that we were just reminiscing about the good old days.

Maverick: Of course sir.

Maverick gets out of Sec. Metcalf's office with a smile on his face. However, Enterprise was surprised with what the former naval aviator said about leading a rebellion and forming an alliance with the Sirens. She decides to ask the hotshot pilot if what he said is true.

Enterprise: Uh..... Commander can I ask you something?

Maverick: What is it Entey?

Enterprise: Is it true that you are going to lead a rebellion and form an alliance with the Sirens?

Maverick: That was just my trump card Entey. Knowing Sec. Metcalf, he will try to negotiate his way out of my request.

Enterprise: I see. Where are we staying here sir? You said that we will be here for a week or two.

Maverick: We're going to check in a hotel. After a week we will fly back to Azur Lane.

Enterprise: Alright sir I will take your word for it.

Maverick and Enterprise check in a hotel room that is several meters away from the Pentagon. They are very fortunate to get a two room suite. Maverick decides to go to the veranda and sees an amazing view of the city. Enterprise on the other hand unpacks her things in the other room. Although they are not together in one room. She's happy that she is all alone with the hotshot pilot. She will never forget this day. The minute they go back to Azur Lane. The other ship girls will be both envious and jealous of Enterprise for spending a week with their new commander.