I sit next to him, back against the wall, and let him lay his head on my shoulder. He smelled of alcohol. "What is going on, Wei Ying?"

He doesn't answer right away. "I hate coming here," he mumbles.

That makes me pause. I always thought he liked here. "You do?"

"I shouldn't have built this place at all," he slurs. "Hurts when I come here . . . I'm helping them. Ning and his band. But . . . sometimes I just resent them. I don't know how to stop . . . I'm such a bad person." He goes on rambling. "Now I hate it here even though I like it here." A frustrated groan. "I think I've gone crazy, Lan Zhan"

From the time I knew Wei Ying, he'd been invested in music. I'll never forget how he looked as he glided his hands along six strings, playing his heart, pouring endless emotions from the melodies he created. I hadn't stopped before to think what it must have been like to lose interest in something he was that passionate about.

I think, now I do. To stand by and watch the fall of your world you created for yourself. To realize what you worked for doesn't matter in the end. To wake up in pain, and realize you had lost what you held dear.

I slide a hand behind his back, huddling him close. I softly ask, "What makes you come here?"

"I own this. I have to visit from time to time," he drunkenly says.

Despite it all, the corners of my mouth turn up. "This late?"

He hums, distantly.

"Even if you hate them, you're helping them achieve what you lost. You're a good person for doing that."

In contrast to what I expected, I'm answered after a heavy silence. "You think so?"

"Mn."

"Will you be mad if I do that again?" he asks.

The question was confusing. "Is there a reason to be?"

He seems to be in deep thought. "I don't know," he finally says.

"If you're doing something good, I would not be mad, Wei Ying."

"Yeah." He sighs. "I'm doing something good."

"Do you want to go home?"

He nods, letting out a long sigh.

By the time we reach home, he has his head leaned on the window, asleep but tensed

By the time we reach home, he has his head leaned on the window, asleep but tensed. I gently lift him up to the seat before getting down and walk around to his side. "Wei Ying." I rub his arms a few times. He lets out a few prolonged hums before blinking his dazed eyes a few times. "We're home. Let me get you down."

It takes him a while to say "Okay."

With my hand wrapped around his waist, he gets down steadier than I expected, I hang his arm around my shoulder just to be careful. "I can walk," he mumbles as if he hasn't enjoyed being carried in before.