05

You're my purpose for my heart to beat,
You're the firefly that guides me in my dreams

---------------------------------------------

Warning: mature content

Lan Zhan

I once read in a book, 'As much as it blows it off, it's the air that fuels the fire.'

Now that everything seems to go wrong, maybe this separation will draw you closer; my brother said. Nothing made more sense at that time.

But that sense didn't make it easy.

When I woke up after the road accident I faced seven years ago, I was alone in a hospital room, diagnosed with amnesia, under the illusion that the only thing going wrong in my life, was my broken bones. For a few days, my brother ignored all my questions about Wei Ying, till I slowly recalled that I no longer could stay with him. By all means, having amnesia felt much better.

It took a while for my body to heal. When it did, Uncle suggested to complete my studies right away. Thanks to my brother, I got to spend a month with him, to have some time for myself, to heal, to put myself together. He helped me; knowing me better, gave me books to talk to me through them.

During that time, I planned six years ahead.

That's how I made a deal with my uncle—For five years I will do everything he wants me to do, and within that time, if I manage to build up my company from scratch, be the prodigy he wants me to be, he will let me go.

I did it. And I came running here on the very day the deal ended.

By now I knew too well that this is the only thing I need in my life when I said, "I'm here to stay,"

Wei Ying stares at me for some time, visibly confused. "Were you even listening to me? You're engaged, Lan Zhan! What's wrong with you?" he yells.

"I broke it off."

That took him by surprise. "What?"

"The engagement, I broke it off."

He pinches the bridge of his nose, sighing. "When?" he snaps.

"Today," I reply, confused by his reaction.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" he yells all of a sudden. "This is an engagement we're talking about-"

I try to pull him close. He pushes me away harshly.

"—Don't touch me." He bellows. "How can you go back on your words just like that? What about her?"

"Wei Ying, listen." I firmly say taking his hands amidst his struggling.

"Don't—"

"Listen to me," I beg. "Please." That makes him silent, so I speak. "The engagement was arranged by Uncle when I was out of the country without informing me. Both of us didn't want it. We broke it off because she has someone with whom she wants to be. So do I, if you want me to."

I was to meet him after it was settled.

But on the day I appeared at Wei Ying's apartment all of a sudden, I realized my patience was paper-thin when the matter at hand is Wei Ying.

That evening, after leaving the airport, for some sort of an intuition I had, I stopped my car in front of Wei Ying's studio. For my sweet bad luck, I saw him getting down from a car and cross the road taking long paced steps, wearing a charcoal suit and hair tied in a ponytail that turned to a shade of brown every time the sun touched it. That was the first time I saw him after our long separation. I couldn't help it when the last bit of self-control I had, blew away with one glance.