15

You're just light, glow, you're made of starlight,
the one that guides the dark of the night,
the one that cleanses the soul.

-----------------------------------

Wei Ying

"You don't look good," I observe, entering the living room with two coffee mugs.

Lan Zhan, who was on the sofa reading as per his usual routine after work, looks up from his book.

There's this subtle thing he does where he clenches his jaws and his lips form a weird but cute half-pout whenever he's in a bad mood. He has been doing that for a while now.

"What's wrong?" I ask, and he does it again.

"I'm fine." He replies flatly, taking his mug.

"You sure?"

He sighs. "Mn. It's . . . work."

I tilt his head up by his chin, rubbing my fingers against the tensed jaw. Bending down, I lay a kiss on his lips. "Okay."

I decide to drop it, but keep in my mind the way he was eager to see me after work, eyes intent on me the moment I came in through the door and the bone-crushing hug.

His mood doesn't improve by dinner time. And since Lan Zhan has been particularly stressed out these days, I ask him, "Wanna have some fun?"

Lan Zhan looks up from his book, with a hint of excitement, but speaks in his monotone dialogue, "What kind of fun?"

I walk over to him. "What kind . . ." I repeat, pulling him up by his hands. "How about, go-crazy fun?"

Lan Zhan's lips tweak into a crooked little grin. "Okay."

That's how I ended up running on almost empty sidewalks, dragging Lan Zhan by his hand despite his protests, in hoodies and baseball caps, ignoring the weird glances some people gave us. I could literally feel Lan Zhan's smile as he follows me closely behind. It's reckless, maybe we're too old to find fun in it, but tonight is spared for craze-struck rebellion, not to overthink or to be sensible. To break away from the should-s and must-s just for one night, just . . . be free. For some reason, it looked like this was what Lan Zhan needed all day long.

I didn't even hesitate to kiss him in the middle of what seemed to be an empty parking lot, out of breath and urgent. Lan Zhan didn't mind the absurdity of the hug that followed; he lets me hold him as if it was the absolutely customary thing to do for two guys, in the cold of the late-night, in the middle of a big city.

"When was the last time you had street food?" I ask Lan Zhan as we continue our walk.

"When we dated in college."

"No way," I exclaim. "Damn, you've missed out so much."

"I don't disagree."

"Come, I know a place. They're usually open at this hour."