★ Ch. 18 | The Forest Again

★☆★☆

"Hey, are you really Jean?" Reiner asked. "The Jean I know never thinks of anyone but himself." He was most likely trying to lighten the mood a little bit, but it was a futile attempt at this point.

Jean continued to grin, with growing fear behind a smiling facade. "Don't be an ass.." His expression turned grim as he looked ahead. "I just don't want all those burning bodies of our comrades to be burnt and buried for nothing. I... I know what I have to do now! And this is the job we chose. Help me!"

They all were rather shocked at the sudden determination the Kirstein had. But that shock soon turned into determination too.

Armin pulled up his hood. "Put on your hood. As far forward as you can... So that your face is hidden from it. I don't think it will kill us until it knows who we are!"

"Ah.. I see. You believe if it thinks we might be Eren or Marco, it won't kill us?" Giorno theorized as he too pulled down his hood. "If nothing, it'll make me feel better. Let's just hope it has poor eyesight!"

"Armin, I thought it was creepy how you always clung to Eren." Jean then grinned again, pulling his hood down as the rest of them followed suit. "But I've always thought you had it in you."

'Because he does, I'm glad I'm not admitting it out loud but he's smarter than all of us combined, I guarantee it. I just hope Armin knows that too.' Caesar thought silently.

"Uh, thanks. But "creepy"? That's really mean..." Armin replied.

As they rode faster and had begun to gain on the Titan, they looked at each other. Determined to achieve victory at all costs.

Armin road on his own side, and thought to himself. 'It's going much more slowly than when I first saw it. Is it tired? If it runs at that speed again, we'll be too late! Now's our chance... We have to do it now!"

Jean had begun to think too, none of them could help it. Being so close, they couldn't help but wonder constantly. 'Listen up... Remember what I said. Try to draw its attention as long as possible to give the formation time to withdraw! Keep it here as long as you can. If we could cut its Achilles tendon, that'd be more than enough. But don't do anything stupid...Don't try and kill it!" He glanced at Mista who rode beside him, the Italian gave a small nod. Jean nodded in return.

Armin eyed the Titan, watching it's movements. 'It's aware of the weak spot on it's neck. It's totally different than other Titans...It is impossible to kill. At least, not by any normal human being.'

He then thought about Mikasa and Levi, and their allies. 'However...If those guys used their abilities in a significant way.. with Captain Levi and Mikasa too... Maybe...' He pondered.

Whilst they thought, Jean pressed his lips at the hilt of his blade for good luck. Or so he thought, it felt.. right to do it.

Standing abruptly on his horse's saddle he got ready to hook on to the Achilles tendon. But what he didn't expect was that the Titan turned itself so perfectly he had no chance to latch on.

Moving it's arm sent a wave of wind that blew his hood right off, revealing his identity. It somehow knew what they were trying to do and darted for Armin. Swiping his horse right from under him, and sending him to the ground.

"Armin!" Mista and Caesar shouted.

The Titan hovered above his laying form, seeing his unhidden face.

Jean panted slightly. "Armin!" He shouted, latching on to the Titan's exposed right shoulder blade. Mista joined him in trying to pursue the Titan, instead latching on to it's left shoulder blade.